Old 05-20-2015   #1
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Raft table top aluminum coating for slip reduction?

I recently converted my raft seat/table from poly to aluminum. I have used it yet but welcome the much lighter weight.

I do have a concern that it would be much more slippery than the previous poly. I have a SnS foam top for it but was wondering if it would be recommended to coat it with something that is a bit "grippy".

It should be noted that one of the main reasons for the conversion (besides it being much lighter) is the fact that very hot items can be placed on it and it wont' gouge like poly.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015   #2
Portland, Oregon
Couldn't you put a paco pad or something over it when rigged? If you made switch to put "very" hot items on it I would personally be reluctant to put something grippy on.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #3
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I run my aluminum table as my front deck and cover with a paco pad. Makes a nice seating area. Personally, I've never wished I had anything grippy on the surface. Plus I think that would make cleanup more difficult. Sun glare might be an issue if you don't put something on it while on the river.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
used flatten expanded metal on 6 ft 20in wide . sleep on it and put dutch on it. prblem is you cant sleep and cook. galvanized 1 inch tubing no staps , trunbone style legs.
billycrack is offline   Reply With Quote