Raft Porn Needed -Let's see them rigs!!! - Page 50 - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2013   #491
 
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Man I wouldn't even weigh it if it was mine. Just enjoy it, some things are better never known.
Yup! I'm w/ ya. I didn't think too much of it when I weight our NRS/speedrail/Skidgard frame and it weight 175 LB. till one of our boating partners mentioned that his 16' Avon and frame didn't weight that much. Now, I'm on a mission to loose some of that weight. Hmmmm.....carbon fiber maybe.

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-04-2013   #492
 
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
Here is my custom Sotar (16'L x 25"D), and my frame I put together. I had the drybox custom built to be low profile, yet still carry a ton of gear. The diamond plate decking is 1/4" construction grade aluminum with an edge trim to protect from injury. The dual rail fittings are from Wild Goose Engineering (Awesome but expensive!). The dual rail decking/rails are each easily removable as "one unit" with the quick release pins on the cross bars which makes transport, setup, and breakdown much easier. Can't wait to add more!
Apparently, living rooms/great rooms are over rated for their entended purpose. Awesome looking boat!
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #493
 
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I like the colors. And 28" x 18'. Getting jealous.

My bad, With the frame Colors i thought it was canyon. Looking closer there is a lot of rectangular tubing involved. Didn't know Sotar was building frames. Are they having someone local do it?

Do you have a weight for that bad boy? Interested in seeing how it compares to my NRS Tank frame
yeah i have been worried about the weight all along... however, my thinking is that with a cat i lose the weight of the floor, and front and back tube weight, Drag too. so my theory is it should weigh about the same as an 18' raft.

what do you think? am i just justifying......
1offshore28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #494
 
Avatard's Avatar
 
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1offshore28 View Post

yeah i have been worried about the weight all along... however, my thinking is that with a cat i lose the weight of the floor, and front and back tube weight, Drag too. so my theory is it should weigh about the same as an 18' raft.

what do you think? am i just justifying......
Denial ...

All depends on the wall thickness of the tubing, siderail thickness, and how much shit you wanna bring

If i max my leopard i have three dryboxes, 120qt, 65qt, passenger and seat, four 1550 pelican cases, and two Jerry cans. Plus misc stuff riding above. The frame, dryboxes, cases, and coolers are relatively lightweight when empty

If I pack it all full it better not be a challenging river or otherwise I can't row it
__________________
________________________________________
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #495
 
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Denial ...

All depends on the wall thickness of the tubing, siderail thickness, and how much shit you wanna bring

If i max my leopard i have three dryboxes, 120qt, 65qt, passenger and seat, four 1550 pelican cases, and two Jerry cans. Plus misc stuff riding above. The frame, dryboxes, cases, and coolers are relatively lightweight when empty

If I pack it all full it better not be a challenging river or otherwise I can't row it
yeah i think that is good advice. i am running desolation - gray in a week. i will try keeping it lighter just to be sure i make it out the other end.

send me a photo of your Leopard. do you have one with all your gear on it?

thanks
1offshore28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #496
 
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 545
Not sure if this will work, but this is us in Lava on the "Gypsy Rig" (Aire Leopard) as the more elegantly rigged boats referred to us. Sorry, I'm not 'puter savy enough to enlarge it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOM _ PAM N LAVA2.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	6143  
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #497
 
Avatard's Avatar
 
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
Not sure if this will work, but this is us in Lava on the "Gypsy Rig" (Aire Leopard) as the more elegantly rigged boats referred to us. Sorry, I'm not 'puter savy enough to enlarge it.
Dude you are everywhere at once. YOU ARE THE ONE!
__________________
________________________________________
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #498
 
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
Not sure if this will work, but this is us in Lava on the "Gypsy Rig" (Aire Leopard) as the more elegantly rigged boats referred to us. Sorry, I'm not 'puter savy enough to enlarge it.

That is one of the coolest rafting photos i have seen!!
that is sweet!
how did you do that?
1offshore28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #499
 
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 545
I can't take any credit for it. I can barely figure out how to use a card reader. We have been fortunate enough to have a a professional photographer named Dan Frisch on both of our GC trips.

He'll run Lava first and the rest of us give him about 10 min. to get set up. He does the rest. Of course, he carries well over $10K equipment with him. He has shot some amazing stuff in the canyon.

We'll be on the same trip together this Sept. in the GC.

BTW, if you click on the image three times , it will enlarge to it's fullest. It could be that it's so small because Dan sent it to us in pretty low resolution.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #500
 
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
I can't take any credit for it. I can barely figure out how to use a card reader. We have been fortunate enough to have a a professional photographer named Dan Frisch on both of our GC trips.

He'll run Lava first and the rest of us give him about 10 min. to get set up. He does the rest. Of course, he carries well over $10K equipment with him. He has shot some amazing stuff in the canyon.

We'll be on the same trip together this Sept. in the GC.

BTW, if you click on the image three times , it will enlarge to it's fullest. It could be that it's so small because Dan sent it to us in pretty low resolution.
yeah you should have it printed. so cool.
we will be right behind you. we are pushing off the first of October!!!
it will be my first run down the GC and i must say i can't wait!!
at that time of year which rapids do you think are the ones we need to really watch out for?
i think the flow will be around 8-12K..... although who knows.

thanks for any help
1offshore28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shuttle Rigs on the CKS Blog... JCKeck1 Whitewater Kayaking 2 10-17-2011 12:51 AM
Ghetto Rigs rafterman Kayaking | Gear Talk 18 04-30-2011 09:26 AM
More Input Needed On an Odyssey Raft jdmusante Rafting | Gear Talk 1 03-21-2010 12:51 PM
Support Raft Needed FirstDescents Whitewater Rafting 7 07-21-2009 03:56 PM
looking for folks to run whitewater on Poudre in oar rigs red wiggler Whitewater Kayaking 5 06-06-2005 10:20 AM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.