Raft Porn Needed -Let's see them rigs!!! - Page 39 - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-06-2013   #381
 
slamkal's Avatar
 
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I'm struggling right now myself with keeping the 8 ft. oars I have, or getting 8.5 footers. I have suffered from "too short oar syndrome" in the past on my cataraft. NRS recommended 7.5 ft for the 54 inch frame which seemed too short to me, so I went with 8 ft and now think 8.5 ft. would be better. I do have the 10 inch oar towers, so I can get a fair amount of extra width with them. At the moment I have about 69 inches between oar locks. If I go longer I'll get counterbalanced.
Really? I think CB on anything less than 11' and I'd say either your geometry is off, you should dump the carlises for composites, or you need to spend a little time at the gym

I dont even run CB on my 11' sticks

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #382
 
slamkal's Avatar
 
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I'm struggling right now myself with keeping the 8 ft. oars I have, or getting 8.5 footers. I have suffered from "too short oar syndrome" in the past on my cataraft. NRS recommended 7.5 ft for the 54 inch frame which seemed too short to me, so I went with 8 ft and now think 8.5 ft. would be better. I do have the 10 inch oar towers, so I can get a fair amount of extra width with them. At the moment I have about 69 inches between oar locks. If I go longer I'll get counterbalanced.
The experts at nrs also ship their frames with 6" towers. What does that tell you about the quality of their advice?
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #383
 
cataraftgirl's Avatar
 
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
Really? I think CB on anything less than 11' and I'd say either your geometry is off, you should dump the carlises for composites, or you need to spend a little time at the gym

I dont even run CB on my 11' sticks
They are composite, and my geometry is fine. I'm just a poor, weak, spoiled little girl
Seriously though, I can get a counterbalanced set for a good price, so what heck. I like them, guess that makes me a loser.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #384
 
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,112
getting ready for the smith

It should stay high and dry up in there. Not big enough for the family but it will work nicely for me on our potentialy rainy or snowy smith trip here in a couple of days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 092.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	5928   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 093.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	5929  

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #385
 
cataraftgirl's Avatar
 
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
It should stay high and dry up in there. Not big enough for the family but it will work nicely for me on our potentialy rainy or snowy smith trip here in a couple of days
Now that's pretty dang cool
One of the benefits of having the "party barge." If it's really cold and rainy, you can just have your meals delivered to your door. Groover in the vestibule. Beverages in the cooler. Heck, you never have to leave the boat. Let us know how it works out after the trip.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #386
 
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Now that's pretty dang cool
One of the benefits of having the "party barge." If it's really cold and rainy, you can just have your meals delivered to your door. Groover in the vestibule. Beverages in the cooler. Heck, you never have to leave the boat. Let us know how it works out after the trip.
Oh I can cook in there too. I have been known to not leave the boat. I am still working on a heater. I couldn't find a tent heater locally and I don't have enough time to order one. Oh well, might just have to rough it. We love our little jr Wally world tent. The wife and I bought it 3 years ago for the motorcycle. Super small and light. I don't care for Walmart but where else you going to get the perfect 20$ tent. I have a hard time forking over real money on a good tent that I will most likely break or burn. The fly is off another larger Wally tent.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #387
 
slamkal's Avatar
 
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
It should stay high and dry up in there. Not big enough for the family but it will work nicely for me on our potentialy rainy or snowy smith trip here in a couple of days
Looks more cozy than the shed you've been living out of!!!

(Refer to pic)
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #388
 
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
Looks more cozy than the shed you've been living out of!!!

(Refer to pic)
That's where you end up after you spend all your money on rafts and raft accessories.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #389
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
The experts at nrs also ship their frames with 6" towers. What does that tell you about the quality of their advice?
No kidding! At least they finally came out with 10" towers.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #390
 
slamkal's Avatar
 
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

No kidding! At least they finally came out with 10" towers.
And their seatbar should have been designed instead to span two crossbars, since you need the extra crossbar (usually) behind your seat for the cooler or dry-box anyhow. However, if they made such a device somehow i think it would involve four more lopros!!
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shuttle Rigs on the CKS Blog... JCKeck1 Whitewater Kayaking 2 10-17-2011 01:51 AM
Ghetto Rigs rafterman Kayaking | Gear Talk 18 04-30-2011 10:26 AM
More Input Needed On an Odyssey Raft jdmusante Rafting | Gear Talk 1 03-21-2010 01:51 PM
Support Raft Needed FirstDescents Whitewater Rafting 7 07-21-2009 04:56 PM
looking for folks to run whitewater on Poudre in oar rigs red wiggler Whitewater Kayaking 5 06-06-2005 11:20 AM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.