Old 08-02-2011   #11
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1978
I purchased a Briggs and Stratton 5 hp, four-stroke a few years ago for this purpose, and I've been very happy with it. Price was right - it's essentially an outboard made from a lawn tractor engine. Only thing is that you can only lay it down with a certain side up when not using it, or else the oil runs out of it... But that hasn't been a problem.

RiverDogDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #12
aurora, Colorado
I have a pic of my plywood transom in my photo gallery. Used three camstraps to attach it to the raft. One thru the back d-ring and the two loops inside the transom, and one long strap per side attached to the other loops going up to the frame. I used a 5hp Clinton 2-stroke and pushed two rafts no problem.

sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #13
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
If you plan on going to the Grand Canyon with your motor, it will have to be a 4-stroke engine. Generally, 4-stroke outboards are quieter and more fuel efficient, but a lot heavier than 2-stroke motors. The recommendations for 5-9 hp motors are okay if you're going for a 2-stroke, but a 9-horse Honda 4-stroke outboard is going to weigh as much as your girlfriend and beer combined.

You don't need that much horsepower. We used a 3-horse Nissan to push 5 rafts from Separation Canyon to South Cove (two days) a few years ago. The power was quite adequate, and the weight was tolerable.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #14
north little rock, Arkansas
I have a little 2.5 Merc for my flat back canoe that I occasionally use on my raft. I drilled a hole in a short piece of 2x4 and inserted a piece of pipe (flush) left over from my frame build. I then drilled down through the entire assembly and ran a bolt through it. I attached a T fitting from Frontier Play to the other end that allows it to simply slide onto the back frame rail. I run the pipe through the back D ring for added stability and use a strap for redundancy. A standard coupler slid onto the pipe allows me to adjust the height of the motor.
lncoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #15
Originally Posted by topbud View Post
I have a 14' boat and was looking at a motor to get me up stream from Lee's Ferry. do you think a 2.5 would be too small? any recommendations?
topbud, these guys are talking about towing rafts across flat water. If you want to go upstream of Lees at these flows you are going to need a hell of a lot more. It may also be impossible to keep straight without a hull.

Heavy current in there and the water is moving, fast. I don't think you could go upstream there in a raft. I've only done it in a fishing boat upstream.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #16
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Be shur the motor has the EPA sticker on the top of the cover for the grand! I used a 6hp Nissan, it weighs 42lbs.My raft is a 156R.I had a stern frame built with a clamp on motor mount,it cost $400.00 money well spent

jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote