Old 06-10-2010   #1
Colorado Plateau Metropolis, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Raft Frame for 13' Raft

Hey Buzzards

Hoping somebody out there could help me with some information. I just got a steal of a deal on a 156ASBU Hyside raft. It is 12'11", it was sitting on someones shelf for 3 years never been blown up. I bought it for 2 Grand, I just couldnt pass it up.

I would rather have bought a bigger raft, something that would hold more gear.... Dry boxes, coolers. But sometimes you play the hand you were delt.

I have been looking for a raft frame for this boat. Seems like every frame that has more than one spot for a drybox/cooler needs to be 14' or longer.

Does anybody know if I will be able to get a frame on this boat that includes spots for one cooler and one drybox? Or is it too small to even try?

Thanks for reading

portercassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #2
westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
Drybox unlikely. Custom frame and cooler likely.
We have a 13' Maravia Spider. Get out and enjoy that little guy~

spiderguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #3
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
a 3-bay frame should work one bay each for the cooler and drybox, the middle bay for rowing. how big is the flat section of the tubes, before the rise on each end? most 14' rafts will allow 2 dryboxes and a large cooler, if properly configured.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #4
I will tell you as soon as I find out. The boat is currently in transit from slc, and I should have it by tomarrow. I have played around on the NRS website, and think that I should be able to piece something together from one of their frames. It just might be a small cooler/small drybox situation. That or I sell the boat and look for something bigger.
Thanks for the responses
Old 06-10-2010   #5
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
A friend has that same Hyside and she has the NRS compact outfitter frame which is 78 inches long and just fits on the chafe pads (or whatever you call them). That frame is made for three bays but it might be hard to find a stock drybox to fit your inside dimensions. I have the same frame on a 14 ft Hyside and love it. Super versatile. I also reccommend the 8 inch oar towers and the deluxe footbar.
FranBoatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #6
Is the captains chair on the cooler/drybox, or do you have a seatbar as well? I guess my next question is how do people attach their seats to the top of cooler/drybox? Ive seen pictures, and the only thing I can come up with is drilling holes through the top of the lid, and then sealing it somehow.
Old 06-11-2010   #7
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
3-bay will work, and you can get both cooler and box in the boat if you sit on one of them. i did it with our 13' boat. keep in mind that you'll be sitting higher in the boat and will have to elevate your oarstands somehow.

By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote