Mountain Buzz banner

Raft frame and straps that won't leave stains.

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  curtis catman 
#1 ·
Built an uber cheap raft frame using 1 inch conduit and some cheap straps from Amazon. This rafts is mainly use for fishing and wont see any white water that's why I went cheap. Used it today for the first time and it worked great but it's leaving black stains on my boat. So any suggestions on what type of pipes to use so it won't leave stains? Also suggestions on some good straps that don't break the bank? Those NRS straps are nice but seeing if there's cheaper options. Thanks.

#13 ·
kayakerps is right. 303 is not a cleaner. You will want to use some boat cleaner. I got mine from NRS, I'm sure there is a cheaper option, but its not very expensive. It clears off the marks with a minimum of scrubbing. After cleaning the boat then add the 303 for UV protection.

#18 ·
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work great for cleaning the marks off the tubes. The NRS boat cleaner also works, but the Magic Erasers are quicker & easier. Be careful how much you use 303. Many raft manufacturers recommend it a couple times a season. It's basically sunscreen for your raft and as others have pointed out, not a cleaner. Too much of it can make your raft hard to patch if you need to do that.

#21 ·
303 has antiplastic some shit in it that will hurt pvc boats if used a whole bunch. I put it on my boats twice a year. I have a white Aire and I hate black marks. I remove them with Magic Erase pads. Now I prevent them by using gorilla tape. I coat any part of my frame that is going to be in contact with the boat with clear gorilla tape. It works. At the end of the year or when ever the tape gets messed up I use a pressure washer to blast that crap off and re tape it. I don't care what any shmuck says when you pay 4000 to 6000 dollars for something I like it to look nice. Have a good one.

P S anodized tubing only prevents black marks for a very short period. The anodization shit wears off and the black marks show up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.