Originally Posted by BilloutWest
My earlier one was a piano hinge on a crossmember that removed. A variation of yours seems much better.
the hinge parts are modified deck supports that I bought from Gary. I think they're ~$2.00 per linear inch of extrusion. I used them along my side decks and then for my flooring supports too because I wanted the flexability to re-do my setup instead of welding the decks to the piping. They're holding up great and the 1/4" or so of space has paid off, allowing me to thread cam straps wherever I choose.
It came as one extruded chunk, so I cut them down to 1" pieces on the bandsaw here at work. I then added 1 hole on the back that's tapped for 5/16-18 and 2 for the decking to fasten to the support too, also 5/16-18. there's a 1/4"-20 on top for a set-screw to provide a second direction of compression, but this isn't used for the hinge component.
The 5/16-18 threading is what is used for compressing the fittings around the pipes, so I wanted to do the same so that I would only need 1 allen-key in my repair kit to tighten or replace components on the frame.
pictures are attached below, but they don't show the two holes for the decking. for the hinges, I had to remove some material from the back of the extrusion to allow for the rotation to not interfere with the drybox. I tried to show the modification I had to make in the picture below.
To constrain movement of the flip-deck in the port/starbird axis, there's also 2 pieces of 2" pipe on the outside edges of hinge 1 and 3. they're held in by the 1/4"-20 setscrews and allow for little movement of the entire assy.
I also discovered that I needed to notch the back corners of the deck becuase it interferes with the T-fittings that form boundry between bay 1 and bay 2.
Originally Posted by Robpineau
I was going to head out to alreco later this week, how wide are the diamond plate treads that you used? Did you cut down a sheet?.
Bob was pretty cool about it and we found some scrap material sitting in the yard, but I did eat a little of scrap cost. I bought enough material for the 2 side decks, the rowing floor, the front flip-deck and then front/back casting decks. He played with the dimentions for awhile and we somehow were able to get nearly all the cuts out of a 4x8 sheet with just a little leftover scrap. I'd have to go back and look into my math from last spring.
the side decks are approx: 74" x 8"
the flip-deck is ~ 50.5" x 13"
I used 3/16" material which I guess may be overkill and a significant souce of my weight, but a lot of reading last winter on the buzz suggested people with 1/8" britetread frames experience warp and sag over time which I wanted to avoid.
my boat is a 14' RMR.