Mountain Buzz banner

raft floor to rowers floor height, anyone, Bueller?

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bjsconstrux 
#1 ·
Hola,

pretty new to the buzz. anyway, I have one for you to weigh in on. i'm the proud new owner of a 15' self bailer raft and breakdown 3 bay frame. after setup, i discovered some width issues which are being addressed(wrong floor installed). assuming the width issue is remedied, i still have a gap of 4" between the raft floor and rower's floor, along with the same gap between the bottom of the dry boxes and the floor. this seems a little high to me? I've seen similar setups and it looks to me like the boxes and floor sit about an inch off of the raft floor. any thoughts on this? I'm feeling like being positioned so high on the boxes for rowing is going to cause me to bang my knuckles into the cooler and also my knees if rowing rocky and technical rapids. I'm probably going to have to raise my oar towers but is 4" too much of a gap for possible entrapment, etc? if anyone has any thoughts on this, i'd sure appreciate some feedback. I just want my setup to work well and after going broke getting it, i'm a bit agitated that it's not fitting well.

#2 ·
raft setup on hard floor or water...makes a difference

If you test your setup in your garage (for example), that 4" of space will be more like 2" when you are on the water...learned this the hard way w/ my drybox :(. The floor rides up higher with respect to the tubes when on the water. fyi

#5 ·
You can always pull the rowers floor if it is cramping your legs. Certainly not mandatory equipment. I'd worry about leg position/comfort more than distance to self bailing floor.

How high are the cooler and dry box above the top of the frame? If they are sticking way up then you may want to try and get them down into that 4". If they are up just enough to operate the latches and get in-out then I wouldn't worry about it.

Head on up to the clack today and get her on the water and see how she does.

#6 ·
thanks for the input

cool, thanks for the ideas. I'm gonna go ahead and try that garage filled with water, that should work well...

I'm waiting on the raft floor to be remedied and will definitely get her onto the water and check the gap then. I hope it all works out.

Thanks for the help, I'll try and repost once I have the boat back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.