Old 03-21-2013   #1
Yukon, Alabama
Raft Floor Covering

Do any of your folks put something light/flexible over your inflatable raft floor to give the floor a little protection from people/animals standing on them or dropping something sharp? I'm not talking about hard flooring designed for secure standing or for storing heavy boxes - rather just some light and flexible to give the floor a little protection. It would obviously need to be something that doesn't absorb water. May thanks.

Yukon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #2
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You could coat with a urethane like Flex-Tuff. Usually people use that on the bottom of the raft, though, and on other high wear places. I've never felt the need to protect the inside of the floor, but I have used flextuff on wear spots under frames and such. It's good stuff.

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #3
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Buy a Maravia and don't worry about it.

If you are setting heavy boxes or things on the floor then you will have trouble with whatever you put there. It can throw off the tracking of the boat and the problem doesn't come from inside it is when you run over a rock with that something heavy over it and it pinches the floor on both sides. And can stop the boat quite quickly and that was with a hanging box not even on the floor.

Not sure if that helps .... but I don't use anything and have never seen anyone who has. Do you have a pet bear?
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #4
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
. Do you have a pet bear?
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #5
Paddling Since: 1994
As denali said, urethane is the way to go. It is common for fisherman to coat the top of the floor and the inside of the tubes for protection from the fishing frame and floors. Anytime you get rocks trapped between your aluminum or wood floor and the raft, the raft loses every time. Urethane is way more abrasion resistant than hypalon or pvc and would provide extra protection from dropping something sharp. Urethane will make the floor slippery when wet which is something to consider. Flextuff is a great product. Prepwork is key.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #6
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
flexible floor

I had a buddy who had a 13' NRS and a big lab. He used a piece of interlocking (dovetailed) foam that fit really well in the back of the boat. It wasn't rigid and was pretty durable. I'm not sure what it was intended for, maybe a workout mat? It was about 1/2-3/4 inch thick and I would suspect it didn't cost too much.
Carroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #7
olympiaq, Washington
I use computer mats that I picked up at Home Depot for 12 dollars a piece. 2 cover my 14' maravia ranger.
jhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #8
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1982
Jhicks, how do you keep the mats from floating/moving around? Seems like they could cause a foot traction problem or entanglement.

DBConnery is offline   Reply With Quote