Mountain Buzz banner

Raft cleaning tips and shortcuts?

20K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Lennae 
#1 ·
Buzzards, help me out! After a full rafting season my rafts are pretty dirty. I'm getting ready to clean them up for the winter storage. Usually, my kids and I use a raft wash product I get from Cascade, some magic erasers, and spend a few hours washing the raft and paddle boards down and then apply some 303. This year, I added another raft, an IK, and a couch to my fleet. What used to be a fun couple of hours is looking more like an all day PITA. I'm looking for ideas to streamline things: pressure washing, brushes that attach to cordless drills, take it to a car wash? What are your cleaning secrets?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#3 ·
Big sponge with soap or simple green and plenty of fresh water is fine. Prop it up with a couple paddles to rinse out the sand and leaves and other earth products that degrade materials. Dry thoroughly and roll them up. No need to spend that kind of time on scuff marks that do no harm, but I guess that just comes down to individual anal retentativity.

#4 ·
Silt and mud can build up when dried on and become abbrassive. I use Inflatable Boat Cleaner, a car brush on a telescoping handle, and a hose to clean it out. Pre wash with water to get the sand and rocks out. Dry out and follow up with 303. I do this at the end of the season prior to storage.

Mild soap and water is fine. But I'd avoid magic erasers, drill brushes, and other cleaners or abrasive that aren't specifically designed for cleaning a raft. You may be getting it clean and shiny by removing boat material!

#5 ·
I Power washed my wooden fence with the wrong head completely messed up the wood and the stain. would not trust myself to do an inflatable raft especially one that costs as much, if not significantly more than my entire fence. Way too much risk with absolutely minimal reward.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#7 ·
Using Magic Erasers is absolutely fine on the boats! We have been doing it for years and it takes your boats and floors back to new status. I will take them to the car wash with a soft bristle brush and pressure wash them down and then use the boat cleaner and soft bristle to scrub. Touch up the scuff marks with the magic eraser and it's every Virgo's dream... HAHAHA!!! It is a whole heap of work but at least that thorough of a cleaning only has to be done at the end of the season. Unless of course you have been in mussel (invasive species) infested waters, then it's another must! Maybe you should make a party out of it Dr. Andy, get those kids working :)

#10 ·
Hi PDX Duck,

I am afraid I can't answer that, I take my personal boats to the local car wash, they won't hurt my urethane at all but yes, you have a point about the PVC boats, mine are all Maravia's but when I wash the floor I do not put the sprayer to close to it as it will take layers of material right off your floor... I better call Dr. Andy now ;) Thanks for the bringing it to my attention that I didn't say that, Andy has Maravia's too.

Kindly,
Renee

#12 ·
I use the car wash pressure washer on my 20 year old Hypalon sometimes, and I'ts been fine, just should be careful, don't get super close. I would use at least a 25 degree tip, if not wider, if it's your own pressure washer.
I don't personally believe in over doing the scrubbing, as it inevitably removes some material each time you do it. Most of my cleaning has to do with switching river systems and removing invasive species. I still clean off the heavy silt and mud.

#13 ·
Another big part of cleaning my raft it the bi-annual opening of my floor pocket on my Aire. If you either a) raft in non silt-laden water or b) have a sealed-pocket floor this is not an issue. Every two years, after letting it dry for a really long time (3-4 weeks) I open up the floor and remove the significant amount of silt that has accumulated between the floor and the zip shell. I find no amount of water can remove this without opening it up.

As for general cleaning, I'm big on the magic eraser and the NRS boat cleaner. Over the years, I've used less and less boat cleaner and more magic erasers. There are still some deep stains that even the ME won't take off but I'm not too concerned about it.

Another spot that tends to have grit and dirt build up is under the zipper flap for my tubes. Again - specific to Aire rafts I presume.

My general theory is that although silt and dirt in and of themselves are not significant harmful to the rubber, if they are given the opportunity to rub between two pieces of the raft, frame or other gear in or on the boat, then it could cause premature wear. Bottom line - it doesn't have to look clean - it just needs to FEEL clean.

#14 ·
RE: car washes

Something to consider, if taking your boat through a DIY car wash, is what that brush has been used on and how it has been used. I have seen people scrubbing all kinds of things with those brushes- rusty, greasy farm equipment, wheel wells, axles, tires, etc etc. Who knows what kinds of chemicals and petroleum products are in those brushes or what they may do to your fabric. Probably not worth the risk, IMO.

However, I have used a the high pressure nozzle at DIY car washes. It is the easiest way I have found to blast sand, silt, mud from the floor and the spaces in the lacing between the floor and raft. My hose at home never has enough pressure to blast all that grit out.

I know the high-end auto detailers are very careful to never blast the pressure nozzle at a car, only across the surface. I follow the same advice on my raft.

#15 ·
Something to consider, if taking your boat through a DIY car wash, is what that brush has been used on and how it has been used. I have seen people scrubbing all kinds of things with those brushes- rusty, greasy farm equipment, wheel wells, axles, tires, etc etc. Who knows what kinds of chemicals and petroleum products are in those brushes or what they may do to your fabric. Probably not worth the risk, IMO.

However, I have used a the high pressure nozzle at DIY car washes. It is the easiest way I have found to blast sand, silt, mud from the floor and the spaces in the lacing between the floor and raft. My hose at home never has enough pressure to blast all that grit out.

I know the high-end auto detailers are very careful to never blast the pressure nozzle at a car, only across the surface. I follow the same advice on my raft.
Agreed!! I have my own special large soft bristle brush that I take to clean my boats with :D I would not use the ones at the car wash!

#16 ·
or, you could not do anything. i mean nothing, just roll it up wet and put it under the house, or better yet, put it under the drip line of the house so it will get washed all off season.

then, after a couple years like that you can take it to the manufacturer and complain that they sold you a defective boat and ask for a new one!!!

#19 ·
What about the sticky that is on the top of my tubes? I think it was caused by magnesium chloride. I have a second layer or rubber along the tops of my tubes and I think that it’s the adhesive from them? I’m not sure but it sucks! I tried to scrub it off with warm water and mild soap and 303 but after a trip in the sun it’s back and it will leave sticky goo on your pants! Help!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.