Old 03-11-2008   #1
Goldendale, Washington
Paddling Since: 1984
PVC raft seams coming unglued. How to repair?

I'm not super worried about the ones that are just on the rings, but the first one needs some help. But it seems that the good glues are 2-3 process glues that are applied to each surface a few times, then eventually stuck together. Not able to keep the two surfaces off each other with this, though. Any help?

Also, I'm getting reado to repair pinholes in the bottom, but they were patched quickly with aquaseal. What is the best way to remove aquaseal?

kvrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Clifton Urethane Adhesive

1 part PVC glue. Should work fine on the seam tape. McNett Cotol Accelerator & Cleaner This is the Aquaseal cleaner, I'd try to find out what the main solevant used is and you can probably pick it up cheaper at a paint store.

riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #3
Goldendale, Washington
Thanks much. I suppose I should have just looked at NRS, but assumed it would be more difficult than that.
Old 03-11-2008   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You should also be prepared for the other seams on your boat to start/continue failing in new spots. Older PVC boats have real issues with seams failures (the PVC fabric naturally out gases chemicals that break down the glue). You can continue to re-glue seams for several years and you might want to start saving money for your next boat. Or you might want to avoid all the work and buy a new boat now if you can afford it.

You mention that you aren't too concerned about the D-rings. Remember that two critical things use the d-rings - frames and z-drags. If you don't run frames it wont be a big deal, if you do you may pop d-rings while running rapids. An unattached frame isn't much use.

If you wrap the boat and need to z-drag it you will pull the rings off like they were attached with velcro. Make sure that you have a perimeter line through the rings. Then if the rings you are pulling on break free, the remaining rings will stop the end of the z-drag from becoming a high velocity and dangerous missile heading back your way. Wrapping a line around the main tube will probably be necessary in this situation.

The solvent in Aqua Seal is Toluene, use it to remove that stuff. Then you probably want to use MEK for pre-cleaning the areas you are going to glue. As Jedi mentioned both of these are available at most paint and hardware stores. Read the direction on the NRS page, and also re-roll the pieces together about 20 minutes after you do it the first time. This helps every thing go together nice and strong.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #5
Goldendale, Washington
Thanks. The only reason I wasn't concerned about the rings was because I think I can keep them apart enough to glue and let get tacky. I definately need them.

I have two other boats currently, and didn't even bother taking this one out last year, but for whatever reason, it is my favorite, so I got the bug to start mending it after not doing much for it for some time.

But I will keep an eye on the seams a little closer knowing that it is a common problem. Thanks.