Propane Tanks revisited - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2016   #61

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Check all your fittings for leaks. I bought a new Partner 4 burner this spring. I've been using it all summer. In my last trip someone noticed a propane smell. The partner hose was missing Teflon tape on the male end between the PVO and the Y where it attaches to the Y. We were losing a lot of fuel. When I got home I added some tape and stopped the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2016   #62

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee99 View Post
Thanks for the reply. To clarify, we had a blaster & stopped using the blaster due to the gas level going down so quickly and in the end stopped using the partner steel stove where possible as well. Reading about others saying they made it through a similar length trip using a blaster for the same purpose of heating dish water and water for coffee has me worried there may be some other reason why the gas in the Viking tank was going down so quickly.
I try to turn the gas to the tank off right after use. I've seen full tanks emptied overnight due to the fitting not properly tightened to the tank. If there is any question, mix up some dish soap and water together and brush around the fitting to check for any leakage.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016   #63
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee99 View Post
Thanks for the reply. To clarify, we had a blaster & stopped using the blaster due to the gas level going down so quickly and in the end stopped using the partner steel stove where possible as well. Reading about others saying they made it through a similar length trip using a blaster for the same purpose of heating dish water and water for coffee has me worried there may be some other reason why the gas in the Viking tank was going down so quickly.
Out of curiosity, how cold was it, was the blaster protected from wind? Just in case you didn't consider those variables?
Old 09-04-2016   #64
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post
Check all your fittings for leaks. I bought a new Partner 4 burner this spring. I've been using it all summer. In my last trip someone noticed a propane smell. The partner hose was missing Teflon tape on the male end between the PVO and the Y where it attaches to the Y. We were losing a lot of fuel. When I got home I added some tape and stopped the leak.

Good reason to take a spare hose, last spring some folks on the trip managed to get my hose pushed up against something hot, hose then proceded to leak and light off. Luckily we had a second hose on the two week trip. And no one was seriously burned.
Old 09-04-2016   #65

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The blaster or a woodland power stove definitely uses more fuel in the flow over time equation, but I think the real question is whether it uses more to do the same task. If you are heating a large pot/pail of water up, I know it takes less then 5 minutes for a power stove and about 15-20 for the same point on a normal stove. My gut tells me that the hotter faster blaster route uses less propane for dishwater duty tasks, but I could be wrong.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016   #66

Keystone, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Out of curiosity, how cold was it, was the blaster protected from wind? Just in case you didn't consider those variables?
Not particularly windy or cold (Deso trip in May). There must be a leak from the connection to the blaster which is difficult to tighten properly (seems tight but probably isn't) and even more difficult to loosen without needing a wrench due to there not being a good hand grip on the fitting. Will check for leaks and see about making the blaster connector more user friendly.

Thanks for the input to you and others!
didee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016   #67

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Yeah, I forgot about a leaky blaster. My WPS had a leak at the regulator. I bought a new one and installed it. I put a green ACME but on at the same time. This spring I would hook my WPS and 4 burner Partner up to the same tank via a splitter. They were both leaking like crazy unbeknownst to me. Check those connections!

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016   #68

Keystone, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
WPS also!
didee99 is offline   Reply With Quote