Old 06-16-2016   #21
Paddling Since: 1994
The aluminum tanks don't have hard edges like the steel ones and dont leave rust marks behind. To me, those are better features than the weight savings or the status symbol. The ability to see through the composite ones and the round edges are the benefit of those. The regasco/ vikings are one piece tanks instead of the two piece recalled lite cyl. Find a good propane guy who will fill them and fill before you leave. The lite cylinders really had the best shape, to bad nobody will fill the 99% of them that were just fine.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #22
Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Interesting. Got screwed as well with that recall. Never do that again. Went back to the old steel tanks. They nest perfectly into a hijacked plastic milk crate which fits into a drop bag or straps in most anywhere else under the load.

fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #23
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Ok, I'm probably going to get turned in to the propane police, but I still use mine. I've never had a problem getting it filled at local gas stations. I have several acquaintances that also still use their LC tanks, including a former fire marshal turned fishing guide who runs several of them regularly.

The problem LC had was with large tanks used as fuel for forklifts and such. I think the regulatory agency over reacted with the full recall of all of their products.

Go ahead and chastise me all you want, I won't be here to care. I'm spending the next three weeks floating down the GC with two LC tanks on my boat. I hope I don't burn the place down.
Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #24
Jenks, Oklahoma
The decision to use or not use the glass tanks is a personal one.

I liked the glass tanks for the visual check. Other glass tanks may well be good. But to me, it was worth the extra money to get the aluminum units. Most of these aluminum propane tanks are used on sail boats. Just me but if they work on blue water sail boats then that is a good recommendation for me. As mentioned by others I have the Worthington steel and aluminum tanks. I use the steel one on truck camps and the aluminum on boats.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #25
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
90DUCK at home:
Wish I had the chones to keep refilling mine...
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #26
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I wish I was that good looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #27
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by 90Duck View Post
I wish I was that good looking!
I don't know what that photo's from but I've got a feeling there were some singed eyebrows in there.

So Brian - what's the story? I bet that's not hibiscus tea in the mason jar!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #28
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Anyone with either of the Viking/Ragasco tanks (11lb/17lb) can confirm if their dimensions (12" diameter) precludes them from being stored in a standard 5 gal bucket?
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #29
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Won't fit. They are virtually the same size. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1466194972.206835.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	11771

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #30
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
are you wanting to put it in a bucket for strapping reasons... you can actually run a cam strap in under the plastic webbing that encloses the composite tank.. Makes it great for just strapping to the side rails of a double rail frame..

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote