Propane Tanks revisited - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-16-2016   #11
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I too got caught in the Lite Cylinder recall and won't go that route again (though the good folks at DRE did take care of me!) for two reasons. One, I assume that the agency that shut down LC will probably keep a close eye on Viking, and I don't want to suffer another recall. Two, I also assume that there could be problems filling it after the recall. I don't want to find that out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm saving up for the Worthington Aluminum and a nice bag to carry it in.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2016   #12

Groveland, California
I bought the Worthington 10# aluminum for the same reasons Randy mentions and have been very happy with it. Loved being able to know how much was left in my Lite Cylinder though....so for first fill up on the aluminum one, I brought a 5 gal. bucket of water to the station. Sunk the tank and marked empty level. Had the guy fill it half way, sunk and marked, then same at full. Drilled a small bleed hole to let air out of the bottom ring. Easy to get ball park level if there is water around.
Old 06-16-2016   #13

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPMG View Post
I bought the Worthington 10# aluminum for the same reasons Randy mentions and have been very happy with it. Loved being able to know how much was left in my Lite Cylinder though....so for first fill up on the aluminum one, I brought a 5 gal. bucket of water to the station. Sunk the tank and marked empty level. Had the guy fill it half way, sunk and marked, then same at full. Drilled a small bleed hole to let air out of the bottom ring. Easy to get ball park level if there is water around.
Awesome idea.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #14

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1955
I have two Ragasco tanks. I have problems getting them filled. The propane dealers here in Salt Lake see a composite tank and refuse to fill them. They are under the impression that all composite tanks were banned not just the Lite brand. They do not know the difference. Anyone know a propane dealer in the Salt Lake area that has really read the recall?
cahatch52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #15

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I have a Worthington 10# aluminum. Love it. I can tell just how much gas is in the tank by picking it up and sloshing it around. Not too hard to find the level of gas. As mentioned above. I will replace it when needed.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #16

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I have a Viking tank and think its awesome. Plastic handles that are easy to strap down, i dont have to worry about sharp edges, and its super light.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #17

at my house, Montana
Are aluminum tanks really worth it? Specs say for an 10-11 lb tank, empty weight is 13 lbs for steel and 10.5 for aluminum. At $185 or so, it doesn't pencil out for me. Am I missing something?
Old 06-16-2016   #18

Bazzaro, World
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Are aluminum tanks really worth it?
IDK, For some no for sure. I think that the life of a tank is 7 years??? Then they don't refill them.. I'm sure any steel tank will do the time. I spend a lot of time on the river and in the mtns and never killed a steel tank. A couple lbs wont make or break any one. The steel tank can rust but IDK if that would end the tank and the paint chips on steel. At the end of the day the aluminum has the illusion of less wear??? Mine is a couple years old and basically looks new. I would say that both Alum and Comp tanks are a bit of a status symbol.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #19

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
They have to be re-certified, and you're good to go for more years. I had my 5# re-cert back in February.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #20
Custom Whitewater Equipme

Central Point, Oregon
We got burned on the recall as well and now run 1 steel 10# and 1 aluminium that i found used. The weight difference is 4 lbs. Taking in to account that a block of ice weighs 10-12 lbs and a case of canned beverages is 20 lbs, we have elected to go with steel tanks.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote