Old 05-20-2015   #21
Provo, Utah
Paddling Since: 2003
Regular steel tank "fixed up a bit", and padded.

I use some automotive door gasket glue, made by 3M, from AutoZone, to glue some fuel line that has been cut lengthwise, to the bottom rib of the steel tanks. This has proven to be very durable, and covers up that semi sharp steel rib on the bottom of those steel tanks. Then I made a padded (3 layered) bag. The layers are a heavy nylon canvas, then polar fleece (for padding), then another layer of the heavy nylon canvas. The bag is similar to a heavily padded sleeping bag stuff sack. I made it to use an old NRS raft strap as the drawstring. I just put the tank in the bag, cinch it tightly closed with the strap/draw string thingy. Then I put the whole thing in the bottom of the everything bag. This rides right on the self bailing floor. Keeps the weight very low in the boat. I always figured that the empty steel tank wasn't nearly as heavy as the fuel in the tank. Never had a problem out of this system on 5 years. the guys at freeway propane are always quite impressed with my tank set up. I was too cheap to buy one of the composite tanks, though I must admit the ragasco tanks are pretty trick. Good luck. Hope the above explanation makes sense.

moovin water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015   #22
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Great idea on gluing a strip to the bottom. I used airhose line, slit it and zip tied it to the top. There are no holes to zip tie it to the bottom. Gluing a piece of the airline to the bottom will take care of that. I think I'll glue the top piece too, now that you suggested your idea.

One of our boating buddies has the Ragaso/Viking propane cylinder and they are pretty nice. He has the 11 lb and it got us thru a 11 person, 7 day just fine.

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #23
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
After you pick a Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1432267731.519620.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	9934tank, call the guys at Whitewater worthy. They will make you a custom tank Coozy. You'll love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #24
Fort Collins, Colorado
Aluminum, painted > coozied

I had enough of the 20# steel tank... purchased the Worthington aluminum 10#'er, painted it, and made a cover for it. Used colors no one would wanna steal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18439131770_113c288719_k.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	577.7 KB
ID:	10214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1416.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	10216  

ofrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #25
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
ofrogg, did you have to file any sharp edges off the Worthington or was it smooth?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #26
Fort Collins, Colorado
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
ofrogg, did you have to file any sharp edges off the Worthington or was it smooth?
It wasn't smooth, but it wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. It certainly was not finished for raft usage, but I wasn't going to hurt myself looking at it as I expected. I did some filing and dremeling.
ofrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #27
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Propane half full/not working

Originally Posted by joecoolives View Post
I Just Got The Ragaso/Viking 11 Pounder. Was Really Happy Till The Last Night When It Was Half Full And Wouldn't Run My Stove. Anyone Ever Had A Problem With A PropaneTank Not Running A Stove While Still Half Full?
We have found that the Gov't has new regs concerning the propane regulators. Depending on the year of your regulator. If you turn the propane valve on too fast or if you turn off the tank while the stove is still running, the regulator clamps down and restricts flow.

The best thing to do is, disconnect hose from regulator for a few minutes, gentle open valve barely on tank. Should be good to go...

dbendell is offline   Reply With Quote