Old 02-09-2014   #11
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I've got a standard floor Avon Pro in good condition that goes four days without needing to be topped off. I got it for a song from my old college outdoor program and used to think it was worth about a grand, rubber only. Now I think I'd be lucky to get a grand for it even throwing in a decent old frame and good wooden oars. After watching Craigslist for years and years, I see the same bucketboats posted on there for years when people ask too much for them. Most people who have any money to spend are interested in self bailing boats because they are just so versatile. I love my Pro, and would take it down the Grand, or the MFS up to about 4' or so, the Tuolumne below about 2,500... But I won't take it down anything too continuous, so I'm always on the look out for a 15 or 16' selfbailer for a good price. But then what do I do with my old Avon? There is a lot of old rubber in good condition floating around out there in peoples' garages and barns, looking for a good home. I figure the price difference between two identical used boats, one standard and one SB, is somewhere north of a grand, depending on the buyer.

Keeping the package together is probably your best bet. The type of person in the market for your boat will probably not have the experience or desire to really shop around to put a rig together. I would price it at $1,500 and not be surprised if it sits on the market for a few months. There are not many boats on the market right now; maybe because people just aren't thinking about rafting right now. When you're really ready to offload the rig, try 1,300. Advertise it as "Grand Canyon Worthy" and maybe you will find the right private boater with a permit that bridles at renting their equipment... Good luck.

(And thank you for not talking about cutting out the floor to make some cat/raft hybrid or retrofitting the boat with a new floor that would cost you more than the value of the whole package.)

jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #12
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
i'm not going to argue some of the low pricing here but ,fwiw, i sold my excellent shape/ perfect air retention '93 16ft hyside outfitter pro bucket boat 3-4 years ago for $1250 + shipping online with two different buyers in under 24 hours from the 'buzz and ebay. a well taken care of riken is certainly of the same caliber as that + a nice full featured frame, 3 good composite oars + dry box? $2K+ seems a pretty good deal.

definitely, hold out a few months if possible for it to warm up and the rivers are running. that always helps too. no reason to give it away unless you have to.

anyway, good luck.

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #13
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
.... $2K+ seems a pretty good deal.
Agreed. Even used, you've basically got about $1200+/- worth of hard gear you're selling with the rubber. Someone can easily add longer side rails on the frame to open up the cockpit. If all the baffles are good and she holds air, shoot for at least $2K. If you've got a blown baffle and she's a leaker, then maybe about $1600 or $1400 if the rubber's really in bad condition.

Also, the notion of having to top off a boat in the morning neglects the fact that here out west we have very wide daily temperature fluctuations. Any boat that's aired up at 80 degrees when you launch in the late morning will be squishy and need to be topped off the next morning when it's 55 degrees. This is something to think about when the boat's partly out of the water sitting in the hot sun at lunch or during an afternoon break (or on layover days). I've heard stories of folks returning to their boats from a hike and realizing what that loud boom was they'd heard.

Good luck selling the rig. There are a lot of Grand Canyon boaters that swear by bucket boats and plenty of others that will never need a self bailer - that boat would be perfect for taking the family camping on a float trip or running Class II.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #14
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
My biggest question marks of the raft would be the age, as well as what you described as damaged that happened from the raft being rolled. Which it sounds like you have placed wear patches over a few trouble spots? Is that damage from rubbing wear spots? Or actual material damage on folded sections like cracking or delaminating? At least to me that's a big difference. I would take a well done wear patch, or even patch over a puncture, over damage from being folded. That kind of damage would indicate an older raft then you think that was stored rolled for long periods, like years at a time, and I'm sure not 303'd regularly. Which would also make sense with an older bucket boat with a pristine floor.

What I like about the sounds of the raft are that it looks good in the pics and sounds like it is in relatively good condition compared to a lot of older bucket boats out on the market. Also that it sounds like it has always been privately owned. Most are beat up ex commercial rafts. My concerns are the age (over 15 years) and whatever the damage from storage you have mentioned. And as mentioned the biggest hit is that it's a bucket boat and most want a self bailer now a days. I see older self bailers go for $1000-2000 regularly depending on the condition, rubber only. And older bucket boats going for $500-1000 depending on condition.

I think you're on the right track with marketing a full package to someone trying to get into rafting for cheap and easy. It's just easier to move the gear.

As long as there isnt major cracking damage you can probably expect $1700-1800 with all the gear you mentioned if you have time. If I were you I'd probably list it right away for $1900, then cut by $50 every 3-4 weeks throuout the winter/spring, and be satisfied to get $1500+ out of it.

Something that will help to sell the raft for top dollar is to clean it up with inflatable boat cleaner and a fresh application of 303. Also fresh stain on that table if it is a used plywood type rafting table. And make sure the valves spin smoothly. People are naturally attracted to nice clean, shiny things and that will help you get top dollar.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post

my knuckles started to bleed just looking at this picture. ouch... that's a crazy small,restricted cockpit,homie.

And my head starts to hurt! That rocket box looks like a real head banger if you got knocked back into it!

I'd agree with everyone else on the price. For what's included, I don't think $2000 is too far off.
waterbob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #16
Los Alamos, New Mexico
As someone who was in the market for a used 'starter' raft about 4 years ago and is currently in the market for a used 'upgrade', I have a differing opinion from most so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. When i was looking for the starter raft, I really only wanted what was necessary to get on the water. IMO, someone looking for their first raft has probably spent enough time on friends rafts and rentals to know what they want and what they DON'T want and no package deal is going to meet all those criteria. I bought a boat similar to yours 4 years ago (except smaller 'cause I'm in new mexico) and though the guy had a lot of extra gear to offer me, I only walked away with the rubber, frame, straps, 2 good oars, and two kinda shitty spare oars. A pump would have been nice, but he wanted to keep his. Kinda hard to get on the water without a pump, even if you have all the extras! The other thing that you can't get on any permitted water without is a repair kit, but alas that was also not included in the package. Of course, I quickly bought both items and swapped out the pins and clips for oarlocks, then took my time slowly buying the rest of the gear I needed (while trying to buy stuff that would work both for my starter boat and a bigger/self-bailing boat I saw myself buying down the line if the rafting thing stuck). I wouldn't say that you can't sell this as a package, but i would advise you to be flexible to individual needs and separate the package and sell stuff separately if needed.

For what its worth, I bought a Riken Pioneer (12 fter bucket boat) of a similar vintage to yours (as far as I can tell) with the gear listed above for $650. It was a used outfitter boat so it didn't look great (and isn't comparable to yours at all), but it also doesn't have any patches and holds air well. Also, its new mexico so the used boat supply is a lot lower than the demand. By the time I'd driven 2 hours to check the boat out (I saw it listed on the buzz and called immediately), the guy said he had 4 other people on the waiting list in case I didn't show. So its definitely possible to unload an older bucket boat, the price just has to be right and the market favorable. Good luck!
greenlm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #17
Jackson, Wyoming
Thanks everyone! Based on the input, I'll start things off at $1,850 and get it advertised in the local and regional classifieds. Once we get into late March and April I'll start dropping the price until it sells. I'll post the final sale price once I find a buyer for those curious to know. I travel to Utah and Idaho pretty regularly so hopefully that will increase the chances of a sale if I'm willing to delver within a 250 mile radius or so.
windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Are you interested in an offer now?
blkhrtnblueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #19
Jackson, Wyoming
Yes, It's officially for sale at this point.

Feel free to send me a board message, or you can give me a call at 8o1-673-o9l2.

windriver is offline   Reply With Quote