Preventing Al transfer (drybox, frame, etc) - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-07-2016   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Preventing Al transfer (drybox, frame, etc)

I'm thinking of a few approaches (inexpensive & DIY) to preventing Al transfer from my Al items (drybox, captains box, frame bottom) to my raft.

I found this thread: painting aluminium?

That talked about using certain spray paints (clear coats as well) to do this and I was thinking about also gluing foam to the sides and bottom of my boxes. Powder coating/anodizing is not really an option at this point so what say the buzzards? Anyone use any of these solutions with success?

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016   #2

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm running this foam under my frame so far works great. Picked it out of the dumpster at a body shop. Bumpers are delivered in it. I think it could possibly be glued to the sides of boxes, it wouldn't last forever but the price is right.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1467913850560.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	11914  
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #3

Window Shade City, Out of Breath
Paddling Since: 2007
So what is the problem with aluminum markings? I get that they don't look good but does the residue compromise the raft material? Just curious what the motive is to prevent it.
windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016   #4

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by windriver View Post
So what is the problem with aluminum markings? I get that they don't look good but does the residue compromise the raft material? Just curious what the motive is to prevent it.
I don't believe that is compromises the rubber but I would imagine enough transfer would somehow affect the rubber. Not to a point of failure, but bottom line you are actually getting really small aluminum pieces on the rubber from what I understand.

Bottom line - this is mostly aesthetic.
Old 07-07-2016   #5

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I've been dealing with this problem and frame marks really piss me off. The marks don't hurt anything. They're just ugly. Anodizing wears off and leaves frame marks, Paint and powder coating wears off leaving frame marks. So far the the best option I have found it to take some clear packing tape (I use the very tough clear tape from Gorilla tape) and I run a stip down the rails and the sides of my drybox where they contact the rubber. Every spring I have to remove the last years and apply new but it has been worth the effort. I even apply a strip to my powder coated frame to protect the paint from wearing off. That's my 2cents.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I paddle and row my raft, so I have to clean it off so as to keep my paddler's asses clean. I think I'll try the Gorilla tape Idea, I have the frame off right now anyways.
Old 07-07-2016   #7

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Meh. I have black Chafer strips. And a Sotard raft.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1467940443.814432.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	11915

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #8

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
I've been dealing with this problem and frame marks really piss me off. The marks don't hurt anything. They're just ugly. Anodizing wears off and leaves frame marks, Paint and powder coating wears off leaving frame marks. So far the the best option I have found it to take some clear packing tape (I use the very tough clear tape from Gorilla tape) and I run a stip down the rails and the sides of my drybox where they contact the rubber. Every spring I have to remove the last years and apply new but it has been worth the effort. I even apply a strip to my powder coated frame to protect the paint from wearing off. That's my 2cents.
Sounds like a good idea. Can you get all of the gorilla tape off if you so choose? I assume with some solvent if need be?
Old 07-08-2016   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Yea, it's a PITA. The tape usually comes off with little problem, but it usually leaves the residue that I have to scrub off with GooOff and yes I hate it but I hate frame marks more so it is worth the effort.
Old 07-08-2016   #10

Great Falls, Montana
For the tape I have learned to use most narrow I can find. It is only about 1 inch wide but that is all you need for the frame and it cuts down on the ammount of work you have to do. For the drybox I use the wider stuff because I have to cover about 6 inches of surface area.