Old 09-23-2015   #21
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Hey Riverbound,

I would not put an ounce of credit to anything that Elk has to say. He/She knows nothing about welding, cant even run a aluminum bead! Probably does not even know where to buy gas for a welder or the difference between MIG and TIG welding. (Elk is googling MIG and TIG right now) Elk posts all day at work when he should be doing his job and has more posts on this forum that river miles under his/her belt.

Just saying.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015   #22
Meridian, Idaho
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Pretty sure my drings or straps would give out long before the aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I also would trust the strength and integrity of my welded and annodized frame, even if it was powder coated, way past the straps and d rings I secure it to the raft with.

Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015   #23
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I've seen multiple YouTube videos of whole frames being ripped off the straps in lava falls.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #24
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
R N R, have you vetted the source of the link? Is the claim of 20-40% loss correct? I have my doubts that it is, but as DBK so elegantly points out, even if it is true, does it matter?

I'd like to powder coat my frame, but I truly don't believe I'll ever be done tinkering with it and doing so post powder coat just seems like A PIA. I'm waiting on my first powder coated piece and at this point I'm leaning towards powder coating certain pieces, but not the whole frame. I guess I'll see...

Anyways I like a lot of what row-frame has to say and his stance in general, but I'm not convinced that all of his opinions are based on reality. I'd be curious what other metal minds think of the concept.
Source: SAS30 Specifications for Aluminum Structures awa Aluminum Standards and Data both Aluminum Association Publications.

Some of the annealment is from time and temperature and some from cooling. Powder coating generally brings the material to 220C and welding 1200C++. One can avoid much of the annealment by very slowly cooling the material at say 20C/hour. This will allow the bonds to redevelop in part.

Some powder coaters will roll the material out of the oven an in effect "quench" the metal and preventing the bonds from redeveloping. This will result in a T4 or T5 state.

garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote