Old 12-12-2014   #31
north little rock, Arkansas
Cool. Thank you very much, and I really appreciate your cultural sensitivity to my Poverty Boater roots. Can't put a price tag on that.

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014   #32
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Originally Posted by B4otter View Post
Converting a "bucket boat" to a self-bailer isn't a paradigm shift... been done a'plenty, with varying results. I don't follow garyherballeaf's argument: a cat "normally" makes up for lack of floor with bigger diameter tubes (compared to a raft with a floor, S/B or otherwise). How does adding a floor increase buoyancy if it's above the water? And if it's in the water, drag will radically affect handling, as any cat boater will tell you.
It's all about re-purposing rafts with blown floors. Rafts with blown floors are available for 15 cents on the dollar. It's why folks in the business incourage users to blow their boats up hard; sort of a planned failure mechanism. I started with a 15 ft sotar for $470. Threw $100 into the floor and it slid off rocks. Best of all, I had a hard floor to stand on.

With respect to cats. It does make a cat a pig. However, when you need cargo capacity, it's simpally another way to skin

garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014   #33
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Cam buckles are only a buck. The gal to sew them is pricy
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014   #34
Paddling Since: 1994
Here ya go. I think his name is Cody.

Contact Us at (800)217-3270
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #35
Thanks Zach! Emailed them yesterday and was told that they have sold floors to several poverty boaters for that application. $250 plus freight and he'd be able to give me some guidance on the process. The bad news is they're out of stock til at least spring and I was hoping to do this over the winter. Lots of runnable stuff in my neck of the woods between now and spring. I wonder if RMR or NRS might have any laying around. Don't (or didn't) they have models with DS floors?
Old 12-16-2014   #36
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
lncoop: My post awhile back where I said that a mesh floor would suck was not meant to be rude or anything. In your first post you said that you haul lots of gear with your boat. I think that you will find the reduced displacement a major hindrance to hauling that much gear. I admit, I have never rowed a raft with the floor removed, but I have talked to folks that have and their stories state the same. I would imagine that after removing the bucket floor, you will have the carrying compacity of a fourteen foot cat with smallish tubes. This last summer, a friend of mine took such a cat on Deso with me and with a cooler and drybox his boat was sitting way too far into the water. My 14' raft (with retrofit "Saturn type" floor) carried about three times as much gear with no problem.

On a different note: Saturn, Baltik, Auqamarine, and Aquos are all basically the same rafts with the same funky drop stich floor. I retrofitted my 14' raft with a Baltik floor that cost me about $300. In other words, you can get the same type of floor as a Saturn from other sources. Here is a link to the Baltik floor:
Affordable Inflatable Homepage - Baltik Boats Authorized Dealer

The newer Saturn floors might have the upgraded leiffield valve instead of the knock-off Naru valve that the Baltik does, otherwise it's the same floor.

I think that a RMR floor might be better if you can get one, but they are lace-in. You would need to cut your floor out and add grommets for the lacing. I have retrofitted a bucket boat this way as well. It's a lot of holes to cut and a lot of grommets to smack.

Good luck.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #37
Okay. Thank you very much for the additional response. Sounds like the drop-stitch retrofit is the way to go. Glad to hear firsthand from someone who has tried it.
Old 12-16-2014   #38
BTW, I did check with NRS since the Bandit floor looked like it would work pretty well for this. $500 and change.