Plastic oar sleeve vs rope wrap - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2016   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Plastic oar sleeve vs rope wrap

I've only rowed with rope wrapped oars and pins and clips. What are people's opinion on plastic sleeve instead of the rope ? It seems more bomber and longer lasting and also a little cheaper. I'm looking to buy some 11 foot cataract oars and wonder which direction to go.

Also, anybody psychically felt the difference between cataract sgx oars and the sg oars?

Tda

tanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2016   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
My experience is exactly opposite on all counts. But depends on how much you row, and how you store your rig... Plastic sleeves on a 14' I ran 30-40 days every year lasted 2-3 seasons; rope wraps on similar rig going strong after 7+...
The stiffness is noticeable in the SGX vs. SGG, especially for long oars. For an 18' - notice you seem to be in the market for one - hauling Grand Canyon type loads you will feel a difference. Depends what you want.
Cataracts are harder to wrap than Sawyers or other composites, for some reason, in my experience. Slippery devils. Unless you have done it before, you might want to order whatever flavor you settle on rope-wrapped from the factory (here in SLC). Or maybe you will prefer the sleeves, which just never "grew" on me despite using on several different boats/oars over last few decades...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
I've only rowed with rope wrapped oars and pins and clips. What are people's opinion on plastic sleeve instead of the rope ? It seems more bomber and longer lasting and also a little cheaper.
Plastic sleeves are too short for me. I row all up and down the 18 inch rope wraps I use. The original wraps I did 26 years ago on my cataracts are still going strong and show no sign of failing after many thousands of miles.
Old 08-28-2016   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Great info. I'm leaning toward the rope wrap. The cataract oars I have now are absolutely hammered and still going . I would keep em if I didn't need the extra length .
Old 08-28-2016   #5

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
Plastic sleeves are too short for me. I row all up and down the 18 inch rope wraps I use. The original wraps I did 26 years ago on my cataracts are still going strong and show no sign of failing after many thousands of miles.

Help me understand better, as I am new at rafting.

I have plastic sleeves and plastic oar rights. we set the oars up so that I have a nice range of motion and grip. I keep the oar right up against the oar lock when rowing.

Should it be set up with slack in the oar rights for any reason?
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Sounds like you are good . The other guy likes to move his oars inward and outward . There are many preferAnces . I like my oars to stay put. This may be why I like pins and clips
Old 08-28-2016   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
I've had plastic oar sleeves for the past 15 years. Just got rope wrapped oars (10 ft Cataract) this year with my new boat. One word. Smooth. I really like the feel of the rope wrap opposed to the plastic sleeves. Nothing wrong with the plastic sleeves at all and they have lasted just fine as well.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Great advice. All these salt lake rafters...maybe we can join some forces and get some permits?
Old 08-30-2016   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I just went to rope wrap for the first time this year. I adjust my cobras so that there is no movement in locks so I can't say that I 've noticed a significant difference between sleeves and rope. Since Cobras have more surface area they spread out pressure and I think sleeves would last a very long time as with the rope. On one set I wish I had not put rope on the shafts because I would like to try pro-locks.

Three years ago I was oaring with Carlisle's. Last year I went to SGGs, and this year I had some custom SGXs made at 9.5 feet (standard is 11' on the SGX) and I absolutely love them. SGXs are stiffer and I was told that I would take a beating in my shoulders and joints but I have not found that to be the case. Advanced Composites treated me right and I'm a SGX guy now.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
another salt laker here. Getting ready to wrap some old smokers. Thinking leather wraps. anyone know a good supplier for leather? cheers
UTMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote