Old 04-27-2016   #31
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992
I believe Gandhi said it best, “You must be the change you want to see in the world.”

riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016   #32
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
This post is funny. "I texted several times and they didn't honor the deal!"

You should have called and worked it out over the phone, then went to buy them while they were still available. You put zero effort it and are pissed because a stranger didn't risk hundreds of dollars on the integrity of your texting.

If you really want to make this thread worth your while you'll post the sellers user name.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016   #33
north little rock, Arkansas
Holy schnikeys! This makes me even more grateful for the pleasant transaction I recently had with a fellow buzzard. He sold me a large bulky item at a great price and was willing to take it to a FedEx facility and ship it across the country. We even had some very nice emails and conversations over the phone which was a bonus.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016   #34
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
having bought and sold lots of stuff here and craigslist, I find you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you assume sellers or buyers share your sensibilities. Why not take integrity out of it, as others have said, and simply do what is necessary to secure the deal you want? If its a steal, lots of people will want it and it will go fast. If it's a steal the seller is probably motivated to sell it. Does your integrity give you the right to make the seller forgo easy fast sales to wait for someone who may or may not have integrity?

Likely what happens I these good deal situations is the seller needs to sell something quickly. The first guy who calls gets the seller excited for the quick sale. They then agree to a bunch of atypical request by the buyer creating a
One sided agreement. Then a bunch of others call and have money in their hand. Seller realizes in his haste he was coerced into making an unfair one sided agreement. What to do now?

It seems arbitrary to be inextricably tied to the first person who sees the ad rather than the person who shows up with cash first. Wouldn't the most integrous method be to interview each potential buyer and decide who to sell to based on need and income level?

It sure is conveniently judgemental to say that I wouldn't have done xyz due to my families genetic pre-disposition for integrity, something clearly you all don't have. Makes it easy to disparage those that disagree with you when you can simply attack their virtues.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016   #35
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
to be truly fair, the buyer asking for a hold should pay the seller for that right, say $20 a day because he is taking something of value from the seller. But none of the virtuous buyers seem to want to do that. Where's the integrity in that?

In my line of work, it's free to look at anything I am selling, but if you want exclusive right to purchase while You do due diligence, you will pay monthly for that right.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016   #36
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I'd been holding off posting my recent story until it was completed, but now that it's done here it is: I just bought a little riobravo from a buzzard, it was kind of a nightmare which was all my fault and I'm gratefull to him for his patience and honesty.

I was working 12 hours away from the seller and called to see about shipping. We worked out a deal and the he was going to ship it the next day, then via work I found out I was scheduled to travel right past the seller in a week or so. I asked if he'd be willing to wait with a deposit. He agreed and even offered to remove the add from the buzz and his local craigslist add. I paypal'd him $100 and looked forward to my next work trip... well lo and behold nothing this year is predictable for me and the project kept getting bumped back - 5 or six days at a time. This happened three times totalling almost 3 weeks. Each time, I'd call and tell him my woes, each time expecting him to back out and sell to someone else. But, each time he'd say that's ok, what was most important was having a buyer lined up. Finally the plan changed a 4th time again but I told the boss I had to go through SLC and make it happen. So on tuesday I hooked up with the seller and picked it up. I feel he was a remarkably patient seller. All in all, I have been very lucky both selling and buying. I've sold trucks to trinkets on CL and have been very happy with the process.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016   #37
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
While I certainly don’t think you’d go there, arguing that virtue is a genetic trait is the jumping off point to punish the son for the sins of the father, and buttresses the kind of thinking that has been used to justify slavery since the institution began.
LMFAO this reads just like the statement for which you were chastising Curtis in that very same paragraph.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016   #38
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
I am totally confused now. what is wrong with asking someone to explain why they think having integrity is a bad thing.. I would like an explanation as to why having integrity is a bad thing and how you think you can tell Spencerhenry he should not expect any better out of a fellow buzzard that said he would hold some oars for to days. We are not buying houses, down payments on $200 deals dont seem necesary and if he would sell something out from under you he would probably run off with your down payment. If a guy says they are yours and then sells em out from under you He needs called out. If a guy thinks having integrity is a bad thing, he needs called out. You all want to clean up the buzz this is a good place to start.

I'm with you Curtis....we are in WV though, where a man's word and integrity are second to none....I think we just get used to people generally being helpful to each other and doing what they say they will do.

I'd do business with you.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016   #39
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
I thank you Sir. I knew things were different in other places. Guess that is why I will stay in West by God till I die. See you on the River.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016   #40
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
I thank you Sir. I knew things were different in other places. Guess that is why I will stay in West by God till I die. See you on the River.
Barf, get a room you two. Anyway, if you want some cheap oars go by them like a adult. Opie sounds like a fourteen year old texting the seller.I kinda like your oars maybe we could meet up some time.

bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote