Mountain Buzz banner

Pirate flag

26K views 59 replies 28 participants last post by  cataraftgirl 
#1 ·
Does anyone fly a flag (pirate or otherwise) on their raft? How & where do you secure it? Do you use one of those ATV pole/antennae thingies to fly it? Do you worry about the pole harpooning your raft? Pics of your flag & attachment appreciated.

#36 ·
Flag flying is lifestyle. Fedoras, flipped collars, clogging launches/takeouts, wrapped rafts is the Colorado way brah. Fun joke with friends, guess the plate of the flag flyer. Easy money is always on CO.

The bravado echoing from Seattle might drown out some, but the flow will eventually turn the corner into the quiet reality that reveals the real stuff. Flags will fly and may reveal playful spoof and deeper reality, but yes, the easy money is not on Seattle.

#37 ·
So if I fly a flag on the river, will people assume I'm from Colorado and not Utah? I'm really a native of Florida, so maybe that's where my desire to fly a pirate flag comes from??? I grew up with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Gasparilla Pirate Festival. Maybe that's where this deep desire to "get my AAARRRGH on" came from. :D

#50 ·
Schutzie found you a couple of girl jolly rogers to fly.

Strictly as an aside, when I went to the dark side and bought a 20' Searay, you know, so we could play on lakes, I named my boat Puddle Pirate and would, in my more rascally moods, fly the jolly roger.
I was stopped one day on the lake and primly informed by a park minion that flying the jolly roger was not permitted, cause it upset some of the other lake residents.
Following some discussion about his knowledge of "park rules" VS free speech, sense of humor, and general overly tightened anal openings a supervisor advised that I could, but they would prefer that I not, fly the Jolly Roger.

I advised that I would, you know, cause I could, continue to fly the Jolly Roger any damn time I was pleased to do so and could recall where I had stowed the damn thing.

As it turned out that wasn't for many more outings as some varmint stole the damn thing while we were lunching with the upper crust at a seaside restaurant and I never found a suitable replacement for it. Plus, it was a bit of a hassle to hang and retrieve, what with all the safety pins holding it together.

Anyway, hopefully one of the flag examples above will inspire you.

#40 ·
Which means you'll be particularly adept at rigging the surrender flag on the 2nd of February, right?

Glad to help you out. Should be able to provide you folks some flag rigging instructions before Feb 2.

Looks like the white flags are already in production - do you have the dimensions?

#42 ·
I looked at the ATV whip poles, and they are too "whippy." I also talked with someone who uses them on an ATV and he told me that they tend to break easily and have fiberglass splinters. 1/2 inch to 1 inch PVC looks perfect and not expensive. Cut a 10 ft. piece in half and make two flag poles.I found my stray lopro with an 8 inch pipe section on it (from a deconstructed side rail rack) and I'll experiment with that, or make my own mount per Jake@whitewaterworthy directions. Thanks everyone for the pictures & info about your flags & flag mounts. I'll be on the lookout for those flags on the river to say howdy.

As for the Superbowl flag war.....those made me laugh. I've got no dog in that fight. Been rooting for both teams this season so it's a win-win for me.

#43 ·
The Lopro & pipe are going to work great. I picked up some 1 inch pvc pipe today. The one inch fits nicely without any "slop." My Lopro & pipe came off a side rail rack so it already had holes in the perfect spot. I drilled the holes in the pvc and added a clip thingie(?) to secure it. Easy to attach & detach. I can also strap my Ultrapod & waterproof video camera to it. Thanks ciggyboy for the Lopro idea.

#46 ·
Is that my swingline stapler???

There's a good chance I will be commandeering this lopro method for flag flying on my NRS frame.

One other suggestion - As much as you tell people that your PVC flag pole can't be used to hold on to in rapids or climbing in/out of boat, they still do it. To prevent the snapping of my PVC pipe I throw a 3 ft dowel rod inside the PVC. That way there's less flex at the base. And I'm trying really hard to not leave myself open to some gutter joke, but it's really hard when you have to use the words 'rod' or 'shaft' or 'pipe'.

#47 ·
Is that my swingline stapler???

There's a good chance I will be commandeering this lopro method for flag flying on my NRS frame.
Close, but no cigar....it's a Stanley Bostitch. Did you notice the Official Stitches-N-Stuff pen??? A collectors item. :)

ciggyboy's post about the Lopro & pipe jogged my memory, and I went digging through my pile of stray frame parts. Mine was a support from an NRS side rail rack that I took apart, so it already had the holes in the right place and was the right length. I just had to pop the rubber end off.

Now I have to decide how tall I want my flag pole to be, and if I want to have it be all one piece of pvc with the flag attached, or flag attached to a second piece that slides inside the one inch??? It appears that you use a wooden dowel for your flag & your friend uses a stick (very traditional). One piece would be simple, but two piece gives the ability to ship the flag in rough seas.

As you can tell, I'm in serious river withdrawl. I didn't get on the river much last year due to injury, so I'm about over the edge now. Messing around with raft stuff it keeping me sane until spring arrives.

#49 ·
I think you'll like it. No hose clamps, and you can move it easily. NRS pipe is 1.25 inner diameter, so hopefully an umbrella will fit if I ever want to use one.

Thanks for the advice about the pvc pipe. I'm usually on my raft solo, so hopefully no one will "manhandle the pipe." Because I run solo, I have my gear pile, cooler, and small dry box in front of me, and row from my bigger dry box. I'll have to figure out the best location for the flag that doesn't block my view or interfere with my oars.

#51 ·
Thanks Schutzie. I have someone making me a flag kind of like the top one, except the skull is wearing a pink crown and it says Pirate Queen.

Judging by your story and some of the posts on this thread, not everyone sees the fun in flying a pirate flag. Or any flag for that matter. As for me, I'm looking forward to it. After all that I've been through this past year, I'm ready to celebrate being back on the river :D

#55 ·
Yep, I could have gone way cheaper than I did on a flag. I hope I don't lose this one. She's making me a custom design on each side. Pirate Queen on one side & pirate ship on the other. After missing last summer's season with a badly busted leg, enduring lots of pain & PT, and nursing my mom through heart surgery, I felt like I deserved to celebrate and go big with a custom flag on my new raft!

#60 ·
Beware! The pirates are after your whiskey and your women! But, since I'm a Pirate Queen, I'm after your studly young men......and if you've got a six pack of diet coke I'll take that too! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.