Old 04-27-2014   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Pickup Bed Trailer, good or bad idea

I just bought a pickup bed trailer, basically the back half of a 1972 Ford F250. I've been told its a 3/4 ton. I'm planning on building a deck out of plywood and using it to get my boat and gear to the putin with minimal rigging when I get there. I've looked and not seen anyone else who has done this and am wondering if this is a good idea or not. See photos. Before I start spending time and money on modifying the bed to carry a raft, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these types of trailers. Also, I'm planning on pulling this beast with my Toyota Rav4 with a v6. I welcome any input. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2091.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	8250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2090.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	8251  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2089.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	8252  

gstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #2
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
It will work...

But it's not ideal. Your RAV has the power to pull it, but those kind of trailers weigh more than a purpose built utility trailer. If you still have the original Dana 60 axle and leaf springs, you are hauling around a bunch of spinning weight and and eight lug wheels you don't really need. Run that thing across a scale and you'll see what I mean. The axle is probably a little more centered than it should be, but since your tow rig is pretty light suspension wise that is probably not a bad thing. If you really want to run that trailer, I'd at least pull the diff cover and pull the differential carrier out, and if you had the equipment I'd pull the brake drums, backing plates, and cut the axle shafts off at the flanges. This would probably take about 100 lbs off the trailer, with about 60 lbs of spinning mass off the trailer, and that is the equivalent of taking 240 lbs static weight off the trailer.
Honestly, I'd buy or build a flatbed. I run an old boat trailer with a crappy wooden deck that works fine. It weighs about 450 lbs.

Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #3
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 2014
If it has a dana 60 you might could sell the axle itself and make money towards a nice flat deck! Rock crawlers love them!!!!
MOJO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Your Rav will appreciate a much lighter trailer. Find. Something g light enough that you can roll it around by hand. If you use it much, you'll save money on fuel in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote