Old 08-24-2013   #1
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Perimeter line

I'm adding a perimeter line to my 13' raft. Was looking for advise or anything to take into consideration. What are good knots to use? Should I leave loops in the end at the bow and stern? Any advise or even pics of how you've done yours would be awesome. Thanks all!

Rogue Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #2
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
My girlfriend put loop cam straps attached to the d-rings as a perimeter line. You don't have to worry about knots since the straps are looped to the d-ring. The cam straps also lay flat against the tubes which helps to keep unwanted things/people from getting tangled in them.

gonetogamehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #3
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
There was a lengthy thread in the spring about perimeter lines. Do a search to find it. Lots of options were discussed.
Here's some pics of what I did on my small raft. I used webbing and a cam buckle loop strap. Worked great and it's easily adjustable & removable. If you use webbing, always use polypro, not nylon. Nylon stretches a lot when wet.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #4
Jenks, Oklahoma
my votes goes to cataraftgirl's set up and use of hoopie. I do the same thing but because I like knots do a modified truckers hitch on the bow. Recommend hoopie over rope because it will lay flat on the raft. Less of a snag hazard but you can grab it pretty easy.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #5
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I have used both flat webbing and rope for a perimeter line and both work well as long as they're tight and easily adjustable. Cam buckle for webbing sure. I currently use a rope with a truckers hitch to tighten, then daisy the tail. I like to have the knot/hitch back by where I sit when I'm guiding.

But with either method I am a big fan of one continuous loop threaded through the D rings. If you tie off the ends to any of the D rings there are a few issues. It makes it more difficult to tension the line properly. Also when inflating it torques the D rings and cause premature damage to the D ring sleeve and D ring patch. Lastly is a safety issue. As long as the perimeter line isn't tied to a D ring, if someone gets hung up in the line you can cut it at any point on the raft, and although one end may get held up by a knot, the line should pull free and not entrap that person.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #6
Sandy, Utah
I liked the way this system worked. Easy to adjust with tube inflation. The webbing did lay flat against the tubes. In the future I'll make the loop strap a bit smaller. I also added the padding under the cam buckle to prevent any rubbing of the buckle on the tube. All my webbing and loop strap came from Lots of color choices, and they will make anything you want.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #7
Kalispell, Montana
I'm converting mind to 1" tubing for next season.

Wow--it's going to take a lot! 40'min for my Aire 156R and 32' for my 13.0 Trib.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #8
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I use 1" web webbing. Before I tightened it I fully inflated my raft than soaked the webbing pulled it pretty tight and tied it with a truckers hitch. I haven't had to adjust it yet but have to wet the webbing before I top off my raft. It is loose enough to grab when swimming but tight enough to avoid an entrapment hazard.
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013   #9
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The thickest hollow braid rope you can afford, because it is easy to splice and keep tight at the same time. Start at the middle of rope on the bow of your boat, finish up with eye splices at the stern.
Like this-
McDonald Brummel | Make a Brummel Eye Splice using McDonald method | Splicing Knots
Don't Wanna Die Askin' for Another Chance
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013   #10
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I would prefer hoopie over rope. Its important to wet it before you tighten down, and also to tighten it down with about 3/4 air in the raft. Once you top it off you'll be set.

If you want to use rope, bowline knot works great. As do truckers hitches.

AJ_U is offline   Reply With Quote