Mountain Buzz banner

Partner stove griddle risers

15K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  mkashzg 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have a four burner and a two burner break apart partner stoves. I have two medium griddles that fit over each half of my four burner stove. One of those griddles would fit over my entire two burner partner stove. My buddy has the large griddle that would fit over my entire four burner stove. The problem is the breakapart hinges on the stoves. The hinges stick up above the centerline, so that the griddle rocks back and forth over the hinge. The rocking griddle makes cooking a no go without adding some risers underneath. I thought about putting 2 pieces of stainless rectangular tubing underneath each end of the griddle to raise it above the hinge. Has anyone come up with a cleaner idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#4 ·
hey andy,

you definitely don't want to put your griddle tight to the grill on the partner stoves. you can overheat the controls and damage them. my partner break apart two burner came with a warning against this and said you should maintain at least a half inch of clearance to the bottom of a griddle. I cut a couple of pieces of rebar and keep them inside the stove for when I use a griddle.

#5 ·
Andy,

what you are thinking about is almost exactly what partner provides for risers to ensure the stove does not overheat (knobs melt, gaskets melt, pretty much pandemonium across the border). I think the only difference is that you're talking about using tube and Partner provides solid rectangular rods --- i'm sure if you called them they would tell you exactly what they use.

And I agree 100% do not put a full griddle that covers the entire stove --- you won't like what it does to your spiffy stove.

#7 ·
About once a year someone posts about using risers on Partner Stoves with griddles. I was in Partner Steel a few years ago buying a stove, so I asked Bill directly and he told me that they make their Partner griddles with an angled edge to prevent over heating. If you are using a Partner griddle, you do not need a riser. That was what Bill, who owns the company, and designs the stoves & griddles told me. If you are using a different brand of griddle, maybe you'd need one. We use both Partner and other griddles, and have never experienced over heating & melting.

When I got my stove, I went in the back of the shop and watched them build a stove, pretty cool. Totally old school. One guy building the stove by hand. No factory process.

Now, you would need some sort of riser to keep a griddle level if you are spanning the center hinge on a break apart stove, but I'm not sure why you would want to, since Partner makes griddles sized for the break apart stoves, one griddle on each side.

#10 ·
My griddles have the beveled edges and are made by partner, so i don't need to worry about melting the internals of the stove. Even though I have the 2 griddles that fit over each half of the 18", 4 burner stove, it would be nice at times to fit my buddy's large partner griddle. It covers all 4 burners of my stove and is the same footprint of both my 2 griddles together. It has a little more cook surface area than both my smaller griddles because it doesn't have the beveled surface in the middle. Also, even though I have a mini griddle for my Partner 2 burner, it is a really small cook surface. So small, that its hard to even use a spatula.

It would be convenient to have the risers so I could span the break apart hinges and use the larger sized griddles on each stove. Some times, I want separate cook surfaces like cooking sausage and eggs on separate griddles. Sometimes, it would be nice to have one large cook surface. I just called Bill and ordered four rods.

#8 ·
what cataraftgirl said.

Many years ago, I called Partner Steel and Bill gave me the same answer.

I have two Partner Steel Griddles and lost count of the times I had both griddles on my standard P/S 4 Burners.

That setup turns out hot n tasty pancakes for a bunch of campers plenty hot to melt the butter.

#9 ·
It's like an urban legend that pops up around this time every year. The Partner griddles are specifically made to work with the Partner stoves. Not risers needed. I won't swear that fully covering the stove with a different griddle won't cause an issue. We have also used the cheap Teflon coated griddles with the grease trap on the end for many years without incident. My rafting buddy lives in Pokie and between us I think we have all of their stoves. He has 4 and 6 burner stoves with the stove stands and add-on wind screens. I have the little 2 burner break apart. I first bought the two burner with built in wind screen. I hated the windscreen and sold it.

#12 ·
Bill told me Partner griddles are designed to work without any risers thanks to the upswept/beveled edges. You only need risers if the griddle covers the edge of the stove. I'll try to post pictures of the Partner soloution.

I've always liked the GSI hard anodized. But, square does seem like it would pack better in a dry box.

Has anybody ever used the top of a round such oven for a griddle? My 14" seems like it would be okay for a small group.

I would like to see one of their coffe pots though. They look pretty solid.

#14 ·
A few years ago we used the lid to warm up tortillas, but I've never actually cooked on the upturned DO lid.

#16 ·
Ceiba provided the big one for us on our last trip. I don't think we ever filled it up passed halfway. Its huge and we had to carry it strapped in with the duffle pile. At least it was the aluminum one so it didn't double as a boat anchor.

For a private trip, I think it would have taken everyone on our 16 person trip wanting multiple cups of coffee to make it worth having that size. I could maybe see it used for one of the big commerical trips though.

I think for our trip, it would have been better to just have the small one and use a french press or the camping percolator type.

#18 ·
Besides tortillas, we toast bread on them too. :)

We also like to take a tortilla, spread some refried beans on it, and add a fried egg with salsa and cheese to the top. You can make several at once if you use the lids off the dutch ovens to heat the beans and tortillas while frying the eggs.

#19 · (Edited)
On the Partner Steel Coffee Pot question.

I got the anodized version small which I think is a gallon of coffee. Plenty of coffee for most of the floats I go on say 12 to 15 coffee drinkers.

Lots of use and mine still looks good showing the usual scratches etc and I expect to give it to grandkids some day along with other Partner Steel Gear.

Key task is to fill the pot with water last thing the night before and the first person up fires up the P/S stove. It takes a while to heat up even the small P/S pot, I can imagine it takes forever to heat up the big P/S pot.

#20 ·
We used the PS Burner to do it with the big one and it wasn't too bad...maybe five minutes or so. As I said though, it was only ever filled around a third to half full.

The coffee drinkers were lucky on this one, there were some early riser types that made coffee most mornings. I'm not one of them, so I saw it as more of a pain in the ass when I had dish duty. Coffee grounds have a way of sticking to everything and they made it "Cowboy Coffee" style and the big PS coffee pot isn't exactly easy to clean all of those grounds out of.

We definitely could have done just fine with the smaller 1 gallon one.

#21 ·
Coffee grounds have a way of sticking to everything and they made it "Cowboy Coffee" style and the big PS coffee pot isn't exactly easy to clean all of those grounds out of.

We definitely could have done just fine with the smaller 1 gallon one.
I use these to eliminate the coffee ground hassle

4" x 6" Muslin Drawstring Bag | Sunburst Bottle

Pre fill before trip
Just toss in trash, no grounds any where.

#23 ·
I float with Bighorn and his relatives. Fine people to hang with and all are good cooks. Mark is almost always up first and has coffee ready and the system used by them works really good. Clean up is really fast. Get up, stumble to the coffee dispenser with cup in hand and enjoy the sunrise!

I make either cowboy coffee for larger groups in the Partner Steel or for just a few coffee drinkers use a large stainless steel bodum press (really good brew) for just a few coffee drinkers.

For both the P/S and Bodum, I do not let the pots set around to dry out. I put a cup or so of water inside the vessels, swirl it around a bit and toss the contents thru a big mesh strainer I have in the dish wash kit. This leaves the pots relatively clean either for the next pot or the wash crew.

#24 ·
Griddles and Pandemonium

If the Partner griddles are the trick, probably worth the investment. I use Nordic Ware griddles, the double side kind and the do extend out over the edges.

I have fried the partner.

When I called Partner to ask why there were flames shooting out of the front of the stove he immediately asked if I used a griddle --- said I should have read the directions / used risers. Believe it was the O-rings that I had melted along with the knobs and other things.

Have spent a nominal sum trying to get the stove back to what it once was.

I think Partner makes the best stove out there, I will buy another one, just wish I had paid attention to the dam directions.

#25 ·
If the Partner griddles are the trick, probably worth the investment. I use Nordic Ware griddles, the double side kind and the do extend out over the edges.

I have fried the partner.

When I called Partner to ask why there were flames shooting out of the front of the stove he immediately asked if I used a griddle --- said I should have read the directions / used risers. Believe it was the O-rings that I had melted along with the knobs and other things.

Have spent a nominal sum trying to get the stove back to what it once was.

I think Partner makes the best stove out there, I will buy another one, just wish I had paid attention to the dam directions.
Wow! That is a bummer! But a good cautionary tale.

#26 ·
Griddle's that cover the entire top of any gas camping stoves and don't allow hot air to flow out the sides of the griddle will allow hot air to build up inside the stove and melt o rings, knob's and valve seals. The holes and slots on the side of the stoves are meant to allow cool fresh air inside the stove and oxygen to the flame, especially around the stoves plastic knoks and valves, to control heat build up. Next time you use your stove with a griddle on it take a lit cigarette or a smoking stick and place it next to a vent hole on the front or side of the stove and the smoke should be sucked in to the vent, if not your heat is too high or not enough space between griddle and top of stove. It's like the new sky diver that jumps out of the aircraft and his main parachute doesn't open, he see a guy shooting straight up from beneath him and asks the guy if he knows anything about sky diving, the guy says no and the guy asks the sky diver if he knows about flaming camp stoves.

Attachments

#30 ·
Griddle's that cover the entire top of any gas camping stoves and don't allow hot air to flow out the sides of the griddle will allow hot air to build up inside the stove and melt o rings, knob's and valve seals. The holes and slots on the side of the stoves are meant to allow cool fresh air inside the stove and oxygen to the flame, especially around the stoves plastic knoks and valves, to control heat build up.....

Raymo,
Does the griddle in the bottom pic cover the whole top of your 4 burner? that is a great setup.. very jealous. do you have some more pics, and was it custom made?

#27 ·
Here's an update on the Partner "solution". After calling Partner and ordering their soloution, 2 months went by and then 4 steel bars showed up. They aren't stainless and they are already starting to rust a little.
View attachment 18146
View attachment 18154
Here is how they are supposed to work.
View attachment 18162
View attachment 18170
They definitely raise the griddle above the see-saw rocker caused by the break-apart hinge as you can see in the picture. They also fit inside the partner stove housing. However, they're kind of heavy and I am afraid that they will damage the internals of the stove rolling around all loose during transportation. Also, they are really heavy and why add to the weight. And I am pretty sure they will get rust marks all over the inside of the stove too. Finally, they are really spendy at more than $30. So, I guess that I am not convinced that this is a good solution.

This is what I was thinking of doing.
Tool Steel Metal

Hand Finger Steel Metal

I was thinking of welding a stainless steel nut along with the stainless steel bolt to the bottom of the stove's grill. When I need to use a griddle that spans the see–saw hinge, I can just raise the flat head bolts. When I don't need them, I can just lower the bolts flush with the nut. I'm not sure how many I will need per side. I'm thinking just keep it simple and weld on four, one in each corner of the grill. Also, I'm not sure if they'll scratch up the bottom of the griddle.
Any thoughts? Opinions? A more elegant solution?

P. S. All of my griddle's are the anodized partner steel griddles. They have the angled edges that allow the heat to escape and the air to flow. They are made to work with the stove without the need for risers. I only need the riser when I am using partner's largest griddle which covers the entire surface of all four burners, but is high centered by the hinges in the middle of the grill.

#31 ·
I use two pieces of 1/2" square tubing made of mild steel as risers and store them in the bag for the griddle. Stainless would be sexier but mine have worked for years.

#34 ·
Raising a griddle on partner stove

I used 1" x 1/16th" flat bar aluminum. Very light, no tools required when using and stays in place if griddle slides around a little. I have a large steel griddle I carry when I need to be cooking with two at the same time. Works great and is cheap. Can be used on any 12" wide Partner stove.
Cut bar to 12 3/4 inches long, bend as seen at 1/2" x 2" x 7 3/4" x 2" x 1/2" and notch 1/8" wide 5/8’ from top and 1/4" from bottom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.