Old 03-11-2014   #1
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Partner Steel Dutch Ovens

Last thread I can find on these is a few comments in 2010. Looking for some new thoughts since you don't see or hear about these much.

I used an 8 qt. one for the first time this weekend, trying out a chicken enchilada casserole recipe. I'm trying to decide if I want to go this route and buy the other sizes or stick with the aluminum GSI or Maca ones. Only going to go the aluminum route on the river. Love my Lodge but it stays in the truck.

Pros: Light, set of three nests together and packs easily in dry box

Cons: Pretty tough to clean welds in the seams and corners, ovens are deep and may make it tougher to bake or get heat to center of large dishes??

Appreciate any experience or advice.

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #2
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I have 3 of these. They have been great. I haven't found the corner welds to be too difficult to clean, but I suppose they require a bit of attention. I feel like the surface in general cleans really easily, especially if you spray a little non-stick. I do agree that they require more heat on top because of their depth, but I've always had evenly cooked food. It does seem to take a bit longer to cook due to the depth as well. I often stack them to gain more heat efficiency and this works well -- but be careful to do it on a very level and stable surface. I've dumped large batches of chili onto the ground before.

But there are other pros besides weight and stackability. The lids work great as griddles. And since they don't have feet, you can cook on the stove with them too. On a Grand Canyon trip 2 years ago, we left behind the griddles and stock pots. We just used the DOs for everything. It worked great. Others on my trips have said they like them as well.

jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #3
Jenks, Oklahoma
For the record, I have far more Dutch Ovens than I can ever use but still will see one I don't have and so it goes.

I love Partner Steel Products and have a lot of their stuff. Years ago, I got several of their dutch ovens. The idea was to stack the sizes together and save space. Dual use as DO's and boilers. I did some cooking in them but for some reason the design just does not feel right to me. Stacks the stuff you are cooking inside too deep. Might be just in my head. Not saying they don't work cause they do, I just did not feel right using them. Rarely take them out of the boat shed.

All my river Dutch Oven Cooking is in GSI anodized aluminum Dutch Ovens and have one 10, two 12's and one 14. I use the 12's the most. Like the clean up. Just toss in the regular wash team buckets. They cook just fine for me and I just feel confident baking most anything in them.

I have several of the aluminum Dutch Ovens and while I think they work good, rarely use them since the GSI anodized units came out.

My favorite Dutch Oven is a well used Lodge Unit. I have a bunch from very small to very large. My opinion no DO cooks as well as a well used Lodge cast iron. I have several of the other made in china DO's and they just do not work for me. Lodge cast iron is cast in East TN just off I40 and worth a stop if in the area. Cast Iron is very heavy, takes more care than the GSI hard anodized and I only use the Lodge when I am camping out of the truck.

Probably more than you wanted on the subject.

Bottom Line, the Partner Steel Dutch Ovens are like anything from their shop - bomber! I think they work and have used them. My personal choice for river camping is the traditional design GSI Hard Anodized units. Otherwise, Lodge Tennessee built Cast Iron.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #4
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
For the record, I have far more Dutch Ovens than I can ever use but still will see one I don't have and so it goes.....
The room goes totally quiet.

Hi, I'm Bob. I can't stop buying Dutch Ovens.
Hi Bob. You're good here Bob. Its all right Bob.

Plus a lot of sage advice from Bob.

- - - - - - -

Have you gotten a Griswold Dutch Oven yet?

Back to the thread.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #5
Jenks, Oklahoma
No Griswold DO's yet, but it is only because I have not found the right roadside farm barn sale!

They are still out there I think, but hard to find.

A friend of mine got this old rusty cast DO as a gift from a guy who was gonna toss it in the trash. My friend sent me a photo. It was the real deal Griswold. He got a lot of advice on how to clean it up. Which he did and it cooks just fine. Talk about luck.

I do admit, I have a weakness for dutch ovens and have yet to have folks on a river trip turn down a nice cobbler, cake or casserole no matter what style of DO used.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #6
Little Rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1978
Okieboater (dave): happy to reduce your overstock of unused DO's. I've got more cast iron than I can use in a month but have a hard time not buying one when I see it at a sale. Don't have any Al DO's yet, but can see the benefit on a rafting trip at 1/3 the weight.
TimEubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #7
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
the anodized GSI is a dream Dutch Oven. almost like my partner stove is a dream stove.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #8
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I'll join the support group.....GSI anodized.....10 & 12.....never leave home without them.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #9
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I'll join the support group.....GSI anodized.....10 & 12.....never leave home without them.
I'll play. A 10 and two 12's.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #10
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I really Luke my his anodized 10", but it really just a bit too small.

Josh's partner nesting ditches were AWESOME. I love being able to dual purpose things, and they worked great for stove top cooking too. Oh man, double or triple stack breakfast pizza at Bass. Heaven!!!!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote