Old 03-08-2014   #1
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Pacific River bag strapping

I'm rigging my raft and I've got the pacific river bag (large) set in the back of the raft. There are rings on the bottom and I was thinking of strapping (maybe with some cordage) to the floor just for loading ease and keeping the bag in place.

Any buzzard have this bag and care to give some tips?

FYI, this is on a Aire 156R.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #2
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I don't have that particular bag but I do run plywood and mesh drop floors and I'd be very cautious of trying anything like that into the floor. When i go through waves I watch my floor flex up and down a lot in relation to the tubes. I know the Aire thwarts are tied into the floor but they have no weight to them and are somewhat flexible. But you get any drop floor or drop bag with some weight in it, then tie it into the floor and it looses that ability for the floor to flex. The stress point is now the inside of the drain hole. Especially if you are using rope or cordage that will act like a little saw every time the floor and rope move up and down. An alternative might be gluing some D rings down low on the tubes to give you something to strap to at a low angle.

You will find some people that do tie drop floors and drop bags to their raft floors and so far no damage. But there are also people that trailer their boat fully rigged down washboard gravel roads and haven't noticed any damage. However I've also seen worn spots on friends' rafts that had trailered fully loaded, so I trailer empty. For the same reason as tempting as it is I haven't tied anything into my floor drain holes.

OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #3
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
I've strapped my Pacific River bag through the floor in back of Super Duper Puma on 3-4 trips down the Yampa and through Westwater, maybe 15-18 days total, and never noticed any wear anywhere - note Aire floors are laced, not with "drain holes." But I don't carry anything heavy or rigid in the bag, only dry bags, maybe a Pelican or three, on the Yampa a 10# Lite cylinder (!). You want to avoid putting heavy objects directly on floor for the pinch factor, not because of "flex" - unless that's what OregonRafter means. In terms of handling, I've never noticed a difference with or without the bag on the floor... Totally agree most damage to boats happens on way to/from the river, and at launch/takeout. See JPW's site and recent post for good discussion of transporting boats, even rolled you can abrade or hole one if it rubs against something hard or sharp. Pay attention to how you load your rig and use soft goods to pad hard edges - I have 3 or 4 old ensolite pads I'm always cutting up to put between hard places. And if you trailer, try strapping down in an "X" vice straight across configuration, and keep your load light and to the center, over the axle or axles. Stop and check everything often, even on pavement, and be especially careful with elevation gain and loss on hot summer days!
GC2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #4
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
I cut a beaver board to fit in the bottom of the bag. It helps the bag hold its shape and makes it easy to load.
more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #5
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by oarframe View Post
I cut a beaver board to fit in the bottom of the bag. It helps the bag hold its shape and makes it easy to load.
That's what I do, also. Works great. I just strap the bag to the back of the frame and to d-rings on the raft.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #6
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
I have the same size bag, don't worry about the floor rings. I usually put a spare pfd on the bottom. There are so many straps fastening the rest of the Pacific bag to the raft, it's very secure.
The last thing lost on your boat after a flip will be that bag and it's contents.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #7
U not daho, Idaho
Paddling Since: noon
I have a 156R with a stiches-n-stuff everything bag in the back. My D-rings are probably about a quarter of the way up from the bottom. There are 3 cam straps on the front half of the bag and 3 D-rings on the back. I connect the 3 cam straps to the back bar of my frame. For the 3 D-rings in the back, I run straps to the D-rings on the outside of my raft. For the two d-rings on the back sides, I run a four foot strap to the raft d-rings. For the last D-ring on the very back of the bag, I use a six foot strap in a triangle pattern going through the two back d-rings on the boat. Never had a problem with excessive wear of the straps on the boat tubes. I also use a octagon strap from stiches to keep the bag in in case of flip.
To keep the bottom of the bag rigid, I place a 1/2 inch PVC board in it. The board is cut to the shape of the bag. The PVC is great because there is no maintenance. I got a scrap sheet from a local plastics shop. It is not super rigid by itself, but it works great because my bag has webbing straps sewn across the bottom of the bag that support the board. I like it so much I also use a PVC in my regular drop bag as well. Again the webbing sewn in the bottom support it just fine.
Hope this makes sense???
dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #8
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Maybe by "PVC board" you mean High Density Polyethylene Extruded ("HDPE") sheet?
GC2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #9
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I don't see a problem securing the bottom of the bag to the boat. When I flipped in Big Drops at 70K I needed every single bit of tie down available to prevent losing everything, and came out pretty good. Or for anyone who has seen 'Disaster in Lava", or even taken that line, they know of what I speak. Granted these are not frequent events. But to tie that bag in a little extra for a three week trip doesn't require much effort while rigging, nor much maintenance during the trip, and provides quite a bit of piece of mind.

I see the occasional boat with just 4 straps holding a frame down that also is holding a cooler and dry box, not to mention dry bags and/or a big stern bag, and I can't help but wonder if that thing is gonna hold in instances like those I describe. So I tend to 'over rig' things whenever I can.

Flow, class, stretch, experience, all play into the level of tie down on every trip.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #10
U not daho, Idaho
Paddling Since: noon
Originally Posted by GC2014 View Post
Maybe by "PVC board" you mean High Density Polyethylene Extruded ("HDPE") sheet?
Guy told me it was PVC? It's white and it smells just like PVC pipe when you cut it. It's not the material used to make cutting boards, but it does come in a sheet.

dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote