Crunch time! Need to finish up the cockpit and make the trailer frame- I'm headed to FIBARK this weekend, and our San Juan trip starts next weekend.
This is where it sits now- I brought the frame home to test fit on the tubes, and measure for straps. I ended up ordering the following from TuffRiverStuff.com, and highly recommend the service I received. Ray is located in Salida, so I'll be picking them up in person Saturday.
10 - 1" Loop straps, 9'
2 - 1" strap 6'
2 - 1" strap 4'
2 - 1" strap 2'
2 - 1" strap 1'
I originally called strapworks to see if they could ship out short notice, and they said they were two weeks behind. Ray said TRS would be able to knock it out no problem.
For those curious, the 9' loop straps will be a bit long- I was shooting for 8, but that wasn't listed on their website. I probably could have custom ordered 8, but I figure I can trim them down if needed. I ordered 10 so I can have 8 on the main frame, and 2 on the trailer if/when I get that done.
Thanks for all the welding tips, my welds are improving.
Obviously they don't all look like this. I've found that drilling holes behind the pipe joints has helped a lot on blowouts. Fit up is key on getting clean welds, and some of the complex bends took some work to fill in the gaps, and hence look not as nice. Alternating sides when welding, and letting the pipe cool down when there is too much heat in them has helped as well. I've turned off my pulser, and have been working on feeding the rod steadily. machine set to 180 amps, slowly applying pedal to get the cleaning action then ramping up to get the puddle. Once you have a puddle, I've dialed it back a bit.
Bending things in the wrong order... had to get creative. No, I didn't actually bend like this, but ended up having it on an angle with two jack stands.
Test fitting the frame:
I also removed the rope wrap on my oars, put the "pro-sleeve" (heatshrink) on, and cleaned up with spar varnish. Was a little shocking tearing into brand new oars, but it looks pretty good.
Tonight I plan to borrow some oar towers, hi-pros, and seat clamp, and solidify cockpit dimensions. I'm debating whether or not to drop the seat rails as originally planned- more work, not enough time. Also, the rowing position feels pretty good as seen sitting on the 2x4.