So I've been extremely busy the past few months, and have had limited time to work on the frame. But today, the top hoop is officially welded. The plans have changed, as I figured out a way to get a cooler and drybox on a play frame + trailer frame.
The 70qt K2 will be behind me, as seen in the photos below. The recess in front allows me to have a foot bar with a trailer frame in front, and the seat will be movable in some way. The trailer frame will have a dry box and a foot platform for the passenger sitting on the drybox.
I still intend to keep the play frame configurable so that it will be a tunnel cat when not loaded down with gear for multidays. I believe I will also be able to fit a 5 gallon water jugs on either side of the captains chair.
I started off figuring out dimmensions for the overall frame in cad, but there were too many variables such as minimum distances between bends, etc that I have been building off the basic dimmensions. I have cad models with the critical dimmensions for the K2 70qt, 9' Sawyer Squaretop oar, and Pro-Lock.
Tomorrow I plan to get started on the drop rails. The river is flowing, and I can't wait to get out there! Now if it would just warm up a bit...
Basic measurements: 66" Long, 64" wide, will be 34" between the tubes.
An hour after setting up my new tig, I was pretty happy with this bead.
Taking the tubes over to my garage today. They almost fit.
Double checking before welding the two halves together:
Also, a teaser of my friend's new trailer he's building a deck for.
And the welds. Not quite boogers, but still lots of learning to do. Happy with them overall!
Also, I picked up a Milwaukee M18 battery powered blower. 100% worth the $80. fills the tubes to 90% in around a minute each, and used around a quarter of the battery.