Old 03-07-2016   #21
Fort Collins, Colorado
Originally Posted by Riverman4utoday View Post
Neill.....seems like an ok aftermarket fix, but use a spray spar varnish to touch up, not the stuff he was using. This is what Sawyer uses and is made for this use since it has UV inhibitors in it. Use the spar varnish to touch up your oars as needed, especially if you get into the carbon or see wear on the finish. Light sanding and clean with acetone then spray over the area.

Also, not sure that I would call it Pro-sleeve, it is heat shrink tubing. He should put instructions/disclaimer on his website advising people when they buy oars(from Sawyer) that they need to ask for dynel sleeving vs rope, then it would be done right without going through all that. Hope he calls you back, seen other posts that he is not very good at returning calls.....maybe leave a message that you want to buy something will prompt a quick call back?

Thanks for the info, I see from your post history that you (used?) to work for Sawyer. This is good to know, and hopefully people will see this thread and go this way in the future- I'll edit the first post to raise awareness for this.

I understand that the "pro-sleeve" is simply shrink tubing of a certain material- I heard they worked with 3M to pick a harder plastic than what normal electrical shrink tubing is, and had to have them make it in a size larger than what it is normally made in. I'm thinking that the sleeve will be slicker than the dynel+epoxy, and easily replaceable, but time will tell.

If it comes down to it, think I can send them back to Sawyer down the road for Dynel retrofit? Alternatively, if I could source some of the right size dynel sleeve, I could probably have a friend epoxy it on and vacuum seal it.

UpThePoudre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016   #22
Fort Collins, Colorado
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
You can spiral the loop straps to keep them away from your tubes- And there are 1/2 as many to deal with.
Good to know. What length do you run? Did you just measure with a strap once the frame is complete?

Old 03-07-2016   #23
Fort Collins, Colorado
Here's some photos- ignore the mess... I had to, erm, rearrange some things to fit the tubes. Move over, Frank Underwood, you may have a WaterRower in your basement but I have a Legend

For reference, the tubes are setup right at 36" apart. What do you think- should I forgo aluminum and just build a 2x4 frame?

Old 03-07-2016   #24
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I don't recall what length I ordered. You have 4 mount points on your tubes- front and rear will need slightly longer straps to reach and accommodate the angle- gonna wrap your frame tubing in 3 places. Just add it all up- leave enough wiggle room. You can always shorten them. Strap materials are cheap enough- Tuff River Stuff did a great job, and they were great to work with.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016   #25
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
You must be seriously jonesin' for some water! I remember the day I got my Sotar care package (round boat) - it was out, set up and on the river in 24 hours - in mid October.

I'm not a cat boater, but can you take an existing frame and get out on the water with what you have? It'll likely tell you a lot....dare I say more than months of internet research? Maybe even look around for something you could adjust width-wise. Maybe even a normal raft frame that you could strap at various widths???? might help with your dilemma. :shoulder shrug:

As Captn' Ron would say, get her out on the water, if somethin's gonna happen, i'll happen out there!
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016   #26
Grand Junction, Colorado via Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
Neill....ya, worked at Sawyer for almost 4 years in sales/marketing/R&D/purchasing.....and occasionally worked in production. Handled all the repairs(when they were getting done), so I know a thing or two about oars. Also worked at Sotar for a number of years pretty well versed on that subject also.

In any case, knowing the process of how the dynel sleeving is attached....very doubtful that it can be replicated in the field. Best recommendation is to return to Sawyer in the Fall when you will have the best chance of a quick turn around. If you need to discuss anything, just PM me with a phone# and we can discuss.

Pretty sweet tubes....this will be my next investment!
Grand Junction CO
Riverman4utoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016   #27
silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Congrats on the Legend, I have a 12.6 and have a day frame thats 32" wide between the tubes and 68" long, and a cargo frame thats 38" between the tubes and 88" long that fits 2 boxes and a cooler and a bay that has a drop bag and plywood lid that holds the misc gear. Both frames were built by Gary at He is in Greeley and will build any design you want. His prices and quality are WAY better than Down River or AAA inflatables (sorry Judy). The frames are bomber and Gary's welding skills are second to none.Checkout his website, very interesting content. Good luck!
bluebtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016   #28
Fort Collins, Colorado
Heh, this is my buddy and I! (I'm in the green helmet)

Old 03-08-2016   #29
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by UpThePoudre View Post
What do you think- should I forgo aluminum and just build a 2x4 frame?
Spruce and gorila glue! It will match ur sticks
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016   #30
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Gary's frames are probably the best value in rafting. Very nice welds on the yokes, he sent extra hardware without me asking, and when he under quoted my shipping cost by $10, he ate the cost and never mentioned it, I only knew because of the shipping receipt on the box. Plus, he was easy to talk to and quick to respond to email.

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote