Old 02-15-2016   #1
Denver, Colorado
Outfitting an old raft to sell

I have my old Achilles bucket boat from 1985 that I'm going to sell this spring.
I have a welded frame that the outfitter that owned the boat makes for it. It's got built in oar towers and a plywood seat.
I also have some parts to a nrs frame.
I think I could finish the frame for it for around $270 in lo pros and side rails. It has a welder kick bar from dre on it and I could include 6 or 10" nrs oar towers.
Would you think you'd recoop the cost and labor from building an nrs frame in the sale. I know a bucket will sell better complete so want to include a frame with it.
Thanks for any advice, I'm all ears!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #2
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Which model frame are you thinking of putting together? Nrs is closing out a couple frames right now, bighorn I for about $550, bh II for around $700. Be careful of putting any full priced parts into a used setup, just because stuff de-values when it's not "new" anymore. Think the old style 6" towers are still on sale for a tower option.

" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #3
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Those Achilles were good boats. But I wouldn't put almost 300 into a frame in order to sell an ex outfitter 30 year old bucket boat. That may be a quarter to a third of what you can sell the whole package for unless you're sitting on a bunch of hard goods and other accessories you didn't mention.

It sounds like that welded outfitter frame is a complete day frame that would allow you to row the boat right now without any mods? If that is the case then there is your package frame right there. Then maybe part out the NRS pieces on Craigslist or keep them for another eventual frame. Did you have dryboxes, cooler, or other gear you were trying to include? Dryboxes and other accessories are a pretty easy sell on Craigslist. Old coolers unless they are high end, not so much.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #4
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sounds like throwing good money after bad to me. Sell the old boat with frame for $500 and be done with it.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #5
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
These guys are right. The appeal of really old boats is really cheap price. The closer your cost creeps towards newer gear the less attractive it becomes.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016   #6
SeaTown, NW
I have 6 brand new forged lo pros that i will sell under retail. Excuse me if this is not the avenue i should make this known.

nastysauce is offline   Reply With Quote