Out Board Motor - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-14-2016   #41

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinksnow View Post
I would suggest the same size prop 7 1/4" but a lesser pitch. So if you have a 19 degree pitch you want to drop to a 17 or 15 degree pitch. And a 4 blade.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone I'm shooting from the hip.

googled 5 hp pusher prop and got this in a couple seconds.
Boat Propellers, Stainless Steel Boat Props - Discount Propeller
The smallest prop they sell on that site is 9.25"...so it wouldn't work with the 2-6hp motors. Its really hard to find alternate propellers for small outboards. They do make an a factory alternate one for my Honda motor, but its hard to find a place to purchase it or any account of someone who has used it to see if it will make a difference.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016   #42

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
I noticed that the smallest was 9.25'' on that site. I'll get in touch with Lehr and see if they have anything.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #43

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I bought my motor from Denver Boat Shop - Boat Repairs and Tohatsu Parts and Accessorries and they sold me a flatter prop at the same time. I think 9 deg stock changed down to 8, still 3 blade. Not sure if a 4 blade would work even better or not. They might be able to help order exactly what you need. It's a wooden front door with repairs in the outbuilding kind of place, but they seem to know their stuff. I know how to pull the starter cord, but not all that much more beyond what I can Google.
My set-up pushed my cataraft plus a 3 wide barge across the front without much difficulty.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2016   #44

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Most prop shops can change the existing pitch of most Aluminum or Stainless props. Just get a stock one and get it changed to the desired pitch.

I've used Jim's Prop Shop in Denver for my 115.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016   #45

Knoxville, Tennessee
flotilla

5hp 2 cycle long shaft pushing 5/pulling 2. Do it every year. slow but effective
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11427385_10205552112695403_4973100644014912911_o.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	12529  
ABusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016   #46
Misspellingintothefuture!

thailand, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
So I came up with a trick for unplugging the water intake with the silty ass water we have in the desert.
We just put the end of the hose from my carlson pump over the where the cooling water is discharged, it did a really good job of back flushing out the debris, and that motor had gotten completly clogged by running over a sand bar.
Still learning about outboards, but thought I'd share what I found.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016   #47

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Thanks for posting the tip. We've only used the motor one time from Diamond Creek to Pierce and it never occured to me that running over a sand bar could plug it up. I hit a couple. Still learning about them ourselves. I'll definitely keep an eye on the water coming out of the discharge port.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016   #48

Willimina, Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Froud wrote the book on it...... as well as Reynolds, Mach and Newton.
Old 12-20-2016   #49

Edgewood..., Not New...Not Mexico
Paddling Since: 2013
I have an older ca. mid-late 1960's two-stroke Commando 750 outboard motor with 23" shaft in either 2.5 or 3hp - not sure, will post a few pics later. It has been used in the past to push an 11' jon-boat around a lake and it handled that small fishing boat with two adults and gear just fine so I assume that it will likely push a loaded raft or two over flat water. It is fairly loud and obnoxious but I figure it will be tolerable for long enough to ride out flatwater and its small size and low weight will make it easily stowable.

Since newer outboards of this caliber are too expensive, I am thinking about giving this one a new lease in life tuning it up and looking into fabricating or buying a DRE-type motor mount for my 16' raft in hopes that I will one day draw a permit or two in which a motor would be handy for the flatwater sections of some of the more epic western trips, my time will come and when it does I would like to have this aspect already dialed in.

The main reason I write is to inquire among you other motorheads about whether or not there is any precedence out there or advice in pro or con for mounting your motor on the bow of the boat rather than stern mounted such that you have more room to sit there and operate the motor rather than sitting astern ontop of the gear pile and trying to run and navigate with the motor? This would mean that you would be pushing the heavier part of the boat out in front of you and I am not sure if this is even possible or a good idea but it does seem like it would be more handy to reverse the boat and mount and run the motor from the bow where there is more room?

Any thoughts or advice on this far-fetched idear? My better half tells me that I am plum crazy for even thinking this is feasible given the weight you would have out in front of you but who knows, I'll probably get flamed out here but I am really curious if anyone has any ideas to offer, thanks in advance!
Livenswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016   #50

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Experiences from the lower salmon says a 2 stroke up front is a good way to be sniffing the fumes all day long and make a dirty mess of the boat. Exhaust on the tubes anyone???? Cats work better for a motor rig. Make a plan to keep gas/exhaust/oil mix off the raft. 3 HP does not push much. Depending on kicker, you might be able to spin the prop and go back wards in forward. The gearing would be better if so. Good luck with this.