Out Board Motor - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-08-2016   #21

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Since I had two rafts on the first trip I went on, I figured towing would be better since it seemed like we would just go in circles with only one raft strapped to one side. Its certainly not the most efficient way to do it. The raft being towed oscilates as it catches current on one side or the other, which in turn pulled to end of my raft around requiring constant correction of the steering.

At the insistence of people on here that it would work having them strapped side by side after I mentioned my experience towing, I tried it and agree that its much better. You get a lot more control, its more efficient speedwise, and its more sociable too. It also negates the worry of having a tow rope get caught in the prop.

Like I said earlier, in either situation I can maintain 5-6mph on flatwater with a bit of current with two rafts. Adding another raft might slow it down a little, but I think it could still do fine. Here is a video of a 3.5hp outboard pushing 11 rafts...

Seems like they are moving allright, but definitely slower then I was. Not bad for pushing that much rubber and weight around. I know guys who run the 9.9hp ones and say it does great. For me, I think the 4-6hp models are the sweet spot of weight/size/price to performance but your results may vary.

Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016   #22
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
So I got a question for anyone that remembers. How much fuel are people using?
Running Potash to Dirty Devil access in four Days with a 10 horse 2 stroke and 2 boats( 14' raft/ 16' cat). What have folks used in similar situations? Will be on low flows this month.
Thank you in advance!!
Old 10-09-2016   #23

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
For my 5hp Honda 4 stroke on Deso, I pushed two rafts the entire 26 miles of flatwater plus some flatwater stretches in between and most of the last day from Rabbit Valley to the boat ramp and used a bit less then half of my 3 gallon tank.

I'm guessing the 10 HP one uses a bit more but I bet you'd be fine with 5 gallons. 48 miles of flatwater before the confluence. Not sure where the flow stops after the rapids, but I know when I did Cataract at low lake level it hauled ass to well within site of Hite Marina. I bet it would be useful for 10 miles past the rapid though and maybe more depending on lake level.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016   #24

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
is rowing through wind and flatwater a bad thing?
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #25

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
This summer I did a Deso trip with a 16' raft, and 14' raft and 2 IK's. We strapped the boats end to end and strapped the IK's on either side of the joint to stabilize them for better steering control (and to try to get a longer line for the water to flow. We use an older Tanaka 2 stroke 3 hp, air cooled. We were motoring behind a larger group of 5 or 6 rafts with a 7.5 hp 4 stroke and kept up with them perfectly, so I was happy with the 3 hp. I think I was at about top of the speed/efficiency curve for hull friction vs engine power. Had we had another raft, I bet it would have slowed us down.
The third day we hit some wind and decided to motor at the end of the day to get to our camp site before dark and towed the raft to not waste time rigging. As mentioned in another post, towing rather than pushing is really squirrely. Making turns or corrections left the trailing raft fish tailing out to one side or the other until it finally got behind again. (Think of a Death Biscuit behind a ski boat) We didn't go for too long, but the 2 person IK's were able to paddle and keep up with us. I don't know if we were traveling at the same speed or if the towing made us slower.
I took 2.5 gallons of gas and it was the perfect amount. We motored the whole run on the first day (to the first real rapid) and through those long flat sections in the middle (we were doing a 4 day run, so we had to hustle).
altaholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #26

C. Springs, Colorado
When I motor with two rafts, I put the one without the motor several feet ahead and along side the raft with the motor and strap them tight. It makes the nose of the other raft the bow and you don't have to turn the motor much to get the rig to run straight.

The key to success is in frame to frame, tight strappage.

Quote:
is rowing through wind and flatwater a bad thing?
Not at all......it builds character........some us us are done building....that's all...
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #27

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Oh, and I've also taken the 16' out on a lake with the 3 hp motor and it does great. As discussed, you're never going to go real fast, and not as fast as an aluminum fishing boat, but if you're just trying to get to a good fishing spot, go for it. I wouldn't want to be on the far side of a lake when a big storm blows in, but in the raft, at least I wouldn't swamp. It just might be a long, wet ride fighting wind across the lake.
altaholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #28

breckenridge, colo.
Paddling Since: 79
On Cataract I had my tohatsu 25 inch (called an xtra long 4 stroke and used 2 3.5 outboard tanks,oh 6hp by the way,3 boats 16ft kodiac 13.5 cat,and 13 ft super puma,camp at potash,then25 miles or so that spot were they got a shitter now,couple of picnic tables so and so canyon,they cut a slot in the bank big enough to launch snouts,then the next night spanish ,upper,run rapids in the morning,say 10 a.m or so then motor on about the same(about 25 miles a day,then cove canyon,or close to black canyon except were on the right,by the calfing mud sides,then next morning afew more hours of motoring the bridge and off too dirty,I think its like 90 or94 miles once your used to traveling at warp speed 5 or 5.5 mph you so much more time to hike its crazy 4 nights total and thats with one night at the put in,ready to hang sheetrock,and frame or what every you do for work,wind no problem
wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #29

breckenridge, colo.
You said it1 tight is right,stay off the d rings and go frame to frame spreads the load and the super puma becames are bow.
Old 10-10-2016   #30

breckenridge, colo.
I've fliped and pulled the plug pull start to get any water out blow on the plug,give it a couple of minutes to dry ,and away you go.