Old 05-13-2014   #31
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by chiapet74 View Post
Perhaps there should be a River safety officer at every put in to check that life jackets are being worn, helmets are on, shoes are properly strapped on, oar tethers are in place, no alcohol in the boat(don't want anybody inebriated and not able to control their boat), the captain can do a quick check with the officer to confirm his abilities and then maybe everyone will feel safer.

Good luck getting two fly fishing clients to wear life jackets during a float.
There you've gone and done it again...given the fishermen a bad name...

Welcome to the shit show by the way!

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #32
south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
Rock on

chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #33
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981

I think the law means when you're in the rapid. As support for this interpretation, there is a sign above Wapinitia rapid on the day float section of the Deschutes reminding people to put them on. I think BLM installed the sign, looks kind of official, never heard of anyone ticketed. The Narrows and Bridge rapids on the GR are both rated III in my guide, both in Washington.
geobucket is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Good luck getting two fly fishing clients to wear life jackets during a float.[/QUOTE]

Fly fishermen love life jackets.

They appreciate how comfortable they are to sit on.
How good a job they do for keeping the hot sun off the beer cooler.
They know what a great insulator from the cold they can be when it is to windy to cast.

I have been rafting since early 1960's and fly fishing since the 1980's always wearing life jackets, when the river conditions require one for safety and always with them in my boats for fishing buddies if needed.
Never had anyone argue if I asked them to put one on. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #35
bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1978
I knows its off topic, but i'm not to sure you can't get a duii in raft in ore. 20yrs ago on the upper rogue at shady cove deputy sheriff would sit at take out, meet you at your boat. he would look everyone over,way before you got to your car. we stopped going up there.
king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #36
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
It may be a little of topic, but I watched a boat full of paddle rafters get dui's on the maupin stretch of the deschutes in 95. Apparently the rationale was that each was in control of the craft. How we didn't get pinched I'll never know...the one hot chick on the float puked all over my feet in the shuttle buss and most of the dudes couldn't even walk straight... I'm guessing it was luck of the draw!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #37
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
One day on a flatwater section of Maupin stretch of the Deschutes, we saw a young man take off his pfd and dive in from his raft after a water bottle. He never came back up. It was a short stretch you wouldnt feel the need to wear a life jacket on. Just sayin'
swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #38
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by oarboatman View Post
As heated as the conversation gets it should always be brought back to the perspective of safety. If we, including me, evaluated everything in terms of safety we'd all have less injuries.
Sorry, I can't keep out of this one. Almost jumped in yesterday but it seemed under control--people weren't denigrating the Stars and Stripes yet. Who decides what's safe? Do you get to enforce all your notions of safety on me? Safe means staying home, perhaps in bubble wrap as has been mentioned. Safe means crazy stuff to crazy people who often as not end up writing or enforcing these laws.

What I or Elk do on our trips with regard to "safety" does not concern you. We as individuals are responsible for ourselves--you are not responsible for us. You don't have to protect us. If we break the laws, we have to be ready for the consequences. As responsible adults we want to be sure we understand those laws. If we ask for your help or ask you to foot the bill then you get a vote. If we're on the same trip, you get a vote. Otherwise, stop pontificating under the guise of "safety" or "common sense" and take care of you and yours as you see fit.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #39
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I've witnessed people get BUI's on the Maupin stretch as well. I haven't seen as many of them, but I bet they still hand out quite a few. I think they go after the gross offenders, not people who have had one beer all day long. They look for open containers and visibly intoxicated boaters from the shore. I think if consumption is discrete and in moderation they won't have a reason to bother you.
The people I have witnessed get BUI's I felt deserved them. They were very drunk, drinking openly, and acting pretty obnoxious. They were mostly in groups physically close to ours, so I witnessed the bad behavior before the authorities.
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #40
., .
Paddling Since: .
Situational awareness everyone. remember that what does drowning sound like thread?
"The guy took his L.F. off and dove in and never came up" (deep water currents). my slightly intoxicated friend fishing fell in when i hit a sleeper (should of made him put his pfd on earlier), situational awareness people. It is occasionally tough to let someone know that they are on your boat and you'd feel better if they wore their life jacket but you need to acknowledge the assumed responsibility for your passengers.
Have you ever tried to swim with your waders on and no wading belt? trust me I've tried it and it's not pretty but yet I see people all the time on busy sections class 3 or way less with no PFD on and waders with no belt.
I guess if you feel no sense of community you look the other way about safety concerns with "others" but when they need help or worse it might become your "business" and you might not be so happy about it.

I once encased myself in bubble wrap and rode my bike down a bunch of stairs at work after hours and punched a hole in a wall with my helmet-less head but yet I wear my helmet rowing solo on rivers that dudes are drunk fishing on some 8 ft Cabelas Cat with waders on without wading belts. SITUATIONAL AWARENESS

I'm going to scope my takeouts from now on after thinking about the BUI stuff

RK is offline   Reply With Quote