Old 07-15-2013   #1
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Opinions on K-Pump K-40?

I'm looking to buy a K-Pump to replace my 4" Carlson pump for topping off and bringing w/me on the rio.

The K-40 looks good:compact, can choose either large or small volume air pumping, lightweight and easy to stow.

Opinions on these puppies?

dgoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #2
summit, Colorado
We ordered two from NRS, both showed up broken. If it can't even handle shipping, I don't think it'll hold up very well being tossed around in a boat. I think the design is flawed - it's screwed together instead of glued, and maybe the screws were too tight, but they were both cracked where the screws were. After one great Wonder Pump (lost to the Blue River gods), three crappy Wonder Pumps (why did they change the hose material?), and two busted K-Pumps, we finally broke down and got the Carlson. Hope to never have to buy another pump again!

basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #3
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I have a K-Pump, and while it is handy and convenient to store on the boat, the barrel pumps are simply more efficient, and I'd go that route if I had it to do over. I won't even start on its disadvantage when inflating a raft from scratch.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #4
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I like my K-200 for topping off, but it was too long to carry on the river. Also too long to inflate valves on the outside of the boat while you're floating (and I have LONG arms!) I cut it down to a bit longer than K-100 length. Call it a "K-150". I like that it's a lot more compact than the Wonder Pump and hose.

If the K-pumps get much water/sand inside them, the silicone lube will rub off and the o-ring will roll off the plunger. Not too difficult to fix on the river with a Phillips screwdriver and sunscreen as a temporary lube. Sunscreen doesn't work worth a darn long-term.

The K-40 looks gimmicky. I don't think you really need 2 stages if you already have the 4" Carlson in your car. Go for the K-100.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #5
Calgary, Alberta
I have this pump and really like it.

For reference, the only other pumps I've ever used other than this are the barrel pumps from rental shops, so take this for what it's worth.

Yes, a barrel pump is faster, but I'm only pumping a lot of volume once at the start of a trip, and to get it started I use a battery powered electric pump, so I see it as a non-issue.

The smaller size means more space on my boat for other things. I never liked how there's no good place to store a huge barrel pump on a boat.

The I only really use the top-off function for the floor.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #6
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by basinrafter View Post
I think the design is flawed - it's screwed together instead of glued
If the K pumps were glued you would not be able to change the o-rings or lube them.
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #7
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987

I love the K-pump for the dry box and so do my friends. it is the best on the river. My kids blew up my floor once on my 16 ft raft with the k-pump and didn't complain, but it would suck to do 2 chambers on a raft from scratch on the river. (we blew a seam over a baffle on a 16 ft boat last trip...glad we had a 6" pump!)
My only regret is that the pump does not have more volume. I've considered the 40 but I ended up building a similar single stage pump that is 4" in diameter. I have only used it a couple of times but I think it will be my go to pump for the river.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #8
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I really like my K-Pump, but they are not ideal for inflating the thwarts on my NRS raft - the angle is just awkward.
but can you see its opposition | comes a-rising up sometimes | that it's dreadful and position | comes blacking in my mind | ....and then I see a darkness
laterwagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #9
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986

Yes, a barrel pump is faster, but I'm only pumping a lot of volume once at the start of a trip, and to get it started I use a battery powered electric pump, so I see it as a non-issue.

You won't have that option if something happens on the river.

But what's the diff really, 15 min with the K-pump or 10 min with the old barrel? The only drawback to the barrel is stowing the clumsy thing, and incidents that have you wish you had one are rare, so you have to ask, is it worth it? There's nothing really seriously wrong with the K-pump, and they store beautifully in comparison.

I have to agree that the double pressure version seems a little redundant, and that there are occasional o-ring issues, so far they've been easy to deal with.
And the only issue I've had is you can only use it in a perpendicular position to the valve, which can be difficult depending on load and valve locs. I'll have to create a little adapter to accommodate that issue, now that I think of it...
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #10
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have used the K40 to top off my cat tubes for two years now. I really llike how it stows under the deck board next to my cooler in the space created by the curvature of the tube. My previous pump would usually get strapped in somewhere accesible but would need to be moved to get to other gear. I unstrapped it in camp on the San Juan to derig and set it off to the side while handing gear off to swampies. "Off to the side" more accurately should say, "over the side" because I never saw it again.

Not needing to find someone to hold a hose into the valve made it easier to keep my tubes properly inflated. I bought the two stage pump so it could also be used to get the higher pressure needed to inflate the drop-stitch floor of my IK. I haven't had any problems with it, unlike the hoses that have failed on the Wonder pump and other similar style pumps.

Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote