Old 06-30-2008   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Old Udisco raft

Hey, I just purchased and old Udisco raft for $40. It came with oars, a dry sack, and a pump, but I had to buy without seeing it filled up first. With all the gear, I figured it was worth taking a chance on. Anyways, it does not hold decent amount of air for more than 5 min. There are no obvious holes so I figure it is probable leaking out the seams. I am not looking to spend very much to fix it up, so I wanted to know if is even worth it to try. I have also read about sealants that you put into the valves of the raft and swirl them around. It is supposed to seal everything from the inside. I was wondering if anyone had used this before and if it was worth trying. I am not looking to float anything crazy in this. I just want it to hold air for a couple hours while I float down the river

al.burpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #2
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
i have run thru some gauntlets in my life, this one aside. but, don't run this thing, keep the "things"you got with it, and keep both rescuers (me) and you the rescuee alive................I'll send you an "inflatable" for pool use under adult "super"vison.

just when i was going to let acc Swift water intructor cert laps......

Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sounds like you bought yourself a some oars, a dry sack, and a pump for $40 and got a raft repair project in the deal for free. Not bad unless you spend all your spare time and money fixing a raft which may be a lost cause to begin with. If you REALLY want to get going on your raft "project" then for starters try spraying down the raft with soapy water next time you inflate it - this will let you see where the leaks are. Sounds like a classic "hole in the water into which you pour money" if you really want to get this boat on a river.

Now, fill up the drybag with water and see if it leaks - chances are its really a "sorta dry" sack if the raft's any indication.

Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #4
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
that sounded terrible, and wasn't my intention. my apologies.
Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote