Mountain Buzz banner

Old Hyside vs. New Tributary

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  dolomite 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

After much saving I am finally in a position that I can buy my own raft but the options I am faced with seem daunting. I am mostly looking to paddle one day trips with up to 7 people. 14' seems like a good size.

my options:

USED Hyside. Guy says it is on "good" condition but I have no idea how to tell if thats true (IE. I don't know what to look for or what to test. I was a guide and we always used the same hyside rafts so I never had to think about what to look for in a good raft, I just got on and ran my boat).

NEW Tributary. I can get a brand new tributary boat for the same price as the used hyside. I got lucky with a prodeal but I can only use it for certain brands.

NEW Super puma. I wish I could say money wasn't an object but thats not the case. This one cost more...but is more worth it vs. the other two options? Also, the pumas looks small...how many do you think could fit in the 14' without being crushed? Also, does it ride much different than your average raft? It looks like it has an inflatable kayak kind of shape to me...

Thanks for any advice! I would love to hear what you would pick, your objections to either one of them, or advice on looking at old rafts. I know there were threads similar to this on the forum but most cases had answers that just said "hyside every time" without an explanation. I want to know why one versus the other!

See less See more
#4 ·
I would say the super puma will be the highest performance, the tributary can haul more, and the old hyside will roll the best.

What type of rivers will it be used on mainly? For mostly small to medium volume runs I would go with the super puma if you can swing it. It has the best warranty, colors, fabric, and will grow with your skills. It is also probably the lightest. The tributary will be better for big multiday trips, because it is wider, has more interior space and can also haul more people. 7 big dudes would probably be tight in a sp.

For me the used hyside would rank last, especially if it has military valves. You will get more value for your money using your pro deal.

#7 ·

Tighter than hypalon!? I seriously doubt that and am betting they still weigh more than a hypalon boat also but if you have pics or stats post em'. IMOP you are kind of comparing a higher end car like a BMW to a ford focus... you kinda get what you pay for. I would rather drive a used BMW than a new focus, but's that just me.

#9 ·
My$0.02
From what you are looking to do with this boat, go with the tributary 14. Great boat for the money. I've gotten hundreds of river miles out of mine. (lower gauley, MFS and the Snake) Superb performance, durable,easy to roll. Pretty heavy, but not unmanageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.