Old 08-21-2014   #21
Searching for water....., Nevada
I just replaced my landing pad and the new one took quite a while for the foam to loosen up and be comfortable. Put it in the garage or spare room with the valve open for a week and it will let the foam expand. They ship them so vacuum packed from the time they are built that the foam is very compressed.

I never sleep with the valve closed, it is like a balloon if I do. Get to camp, open the valve to let it inflate and have a great nights sleep. If it is very hot or cold a flannel sheet over the top helps out a lot.

Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #22
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I have one. No issues. We store it rolled on the boat. Open valve - throw it in the tent - ignore it - close valve without jumping on it - sleep. That's it. Always perfect.

cmharris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #23
TV, Idaho
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Jesus- it is not too stiff. It is not offering any cushioning because the foam is flacid. If I leave the valve open I will be essentially laying on a tarp on the ground.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I was thinking about getting one, and the Aire seemed like a good value. A sales person who carried both recently told me that the foam in the Maravia is far better quality and thicker than the Aire. He said that Maravia uses a foam that is thicker than the constraint of the shell so that it holds up far better and keeps your ass off the ground. For example, they put 4" foam in a 3" shell (just for example, I have no idea on the real measurements.)
M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #24
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I ditched my paco type - don't recall make, think it was a paco - 10 years ago for a Pacific Outdoor Equipment Bomber Pad, 3" thick built like a paco with some form of "raft-like" material on bottom, a lighter (half as thick) top material that is bonded top and bottom. They are perfect, self-inflating and I being a fat-ass add a half-dozen puffs for good measure. It is almost like sleeping on my temper-pedic.

Unfortunately they are out o' business and the pads are no longer available...if you see one anywhere buy it, best sleeping pad ever made in my opinion. here's a link for reference: Pacific Outdoor Equipment Bomber Sleeping Pad | They made several thicknesses and sizes. It's really a bummer they are out of business, they also made the best dry duffel I've ever seen. We've had two duffels, and two pads for over 10 years, the duffle is my luggage, been around the US, on hundreds of river, hunting and camping trips. Still in great shape and totally dry. best purchases I've ever made, bar none.

With that said a quick internet search turned up a similar item, but lighter duty (no pvc bottom) found at REI, it might be a supper comfy option but probably not for laying on the boat...Product Page

I can't stand the bubble pads, why would I want to sleep on just foam when I could be sleeping on air and foam? I really hope Jack jumps in here - it would be nice to see someone revive the idea of the Bomber pad - best of both worlds (durable boat pad that is bonded and thus truly inflatable) IMHO.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #25
Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Jack's had a batch of bad foam, call them and they may replace it.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #26
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by jamwin33 View Post
Ditto for TommyColorado - 10 years on my JPW Paco and still going strong.
I've had a pair of 4" ones for about the same time. They are soooooo comfortable.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #27
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Maravias are NOT air tight. Read the hang tag.....

Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #28
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
You have an imitation Paco Pad. Buy a JPW, use it forever years and be done. I can sleep with the valves open or closed on my Jacks depending on level of cushion desired, no issues and 10 years old.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #29
TV, Idaho
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Maravias are NOT air tight. Read the hang tag.....

Just re-read your original post. Sorry for the useless post since you already tried the Maravia. Did you try the Maravia with the valve open? That's how they are meant to work.
M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #30
Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Before you send it back I would try what was previously stated. Open valve, set out in a warm place for a few days. I have two landing pads and can't say a bad thing about them. Less than half the price of Jacks, super durable, never add air, sleep great.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.
hand8272 is offline   Reply With Quote