Oar positioning - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Oar positioning

Hi All,

I'm getting a new boat and frame set up and have two questions for y'all.

1) This may be highly subjective, but where do people like their oar height? I've got 8" towers and am sitting on a cooler so I have flexibility in rigging the cooler higher or lower. Do you want to put the locks around thighs? waste? stomach?

2) What's the best way/knot to tie off the perimeter line?...just found this:Knots for perimeter line?

So I guess just one question, unless someone wants to weigh in on perimeter line knot.

Cheers!

Rapid Resolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1988
1 - I don't really understand the question exactly, but the oars should be around your belt/belly button when holding parallel to the water surface/ground.

2 - Perimeter ropes are usually attached on the end points/d rings with a bowline and the inside knots are single overhand, which allows you to tighten a loosen the line without untying all the knots.
rubtheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

evanston, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1968
Many people position oar ends to just miss each other in a power stroke position. Some people like an overlap. Do you feather oars on each stroke?Oarstand height, outboard position and angle, all play a part.I want to be pushing as though I'm doing a benchpress if going forward.I go a little lower with back,legs and arms working if rowing backwards.Oars must clear life jacket.Oarstands need to be forward enough to clear jacket and give a full stroke. Watch a few videos and see how many folks are barely full stroking when it counts.
eyeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
1 - I like my oars right about mid boob level. Around the same area where you'd bench press or throw a solid jab if boxing. Torso size, leg length, arm length, height of seat, and oar tower height all play a part in getting oars set up comfortably for each individual. I like about a fists width of space between my oar handles when parallel.

2. I use webbing (not nylon) as my perimeter line with a loop strap & cam buckle to make it easy to tighten the line and remove it as needed.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Dillon, Colorado
Thanks!

One issue I'm having is that the used frame has the oar towers set up really far forward. So when I'm sitting on the cooler the oars would come together at about my knees or even a little forward of my knees. I'm going to have to cut new holes in the decking to move them closer to me body.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Resolver View Post
Thanks!

One issue I'm having is that the used frame has the oar towers set up really far forward. So when I'm sitting on the cooler the oars would come together at about my knees or even a little forward of my knees. I'm going to have to cut new holes in the decking to move them closer to me body.
That is where they should come together. When you sit on your seat, the oar locks should be at your knees. If not the handles will hit your pfd (life jacket).
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Set your boat up on the ground, grass or garage floor. Take the blades off your oars and row it just keeping the oar shafts off the ground. This will help you figure it out.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

evanston, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1968
Before you cut deck to reposition oar towers consider boat balance. May need to move seat forward.
eyeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Dillon, Colorado
Thanks All, good advice
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I prefer to keep my oars much further apart, then is suggested here. I like my hands to be almost straight out from my shoulders. This puts much less strain on my elbows, by not "twisting" them. The other folks posting are not wrong in what they suggest, you should try out several positions and figure out what works best for you
J. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote