Old 04-23-2014   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Oar mount height

Hey all. I have a 14' otter with a NRS fishing frame. My current oar mounts are 6" and I don't really like how low they are so I am replacing them. I guess I don't know if I should get the 8" or 10". What do you guys think will be better as I don't really know... I just know with the 6" I am always hitting my legs.

Thanks for the help.

mtnparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #2
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
10 is really tall. I only use them if I'm on a tall cooler.
8 is versatile
6 is short.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #3
Searching for water....., Nevada
I row a E-140 which is the same size as your otter. I sit on a drybox to row and use the 8"ers happily. The 6" were too low(tried them on a couple trips) and I kept hitting my legs trying to get the oars out of the water. 8" are great but if you are sitting on a raised seat you may want the 10s.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I have the standard NRS frame seat. I was leaning towards 8" but just wanted to make sure there was something I was not missing before I bought the wrong new ones... again. Thanks for the input.
mtnparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #5
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
With a 72" wide NRS frame with 10' oars I prefer 8" towers to 6" whether sitting low on the seat bar or higher on the cooler. Same goes for the 48" NRS frame sitting at tubing height with 8' oars. I'm 6'5" and like to row through. I haven't tried the 10" yet but think the will be a bit high.

5'10" friend prefers 6"; 6'2" friend prefers 8". FWIW.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #6
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
If you can trailer up your boat and take it to a nearby raft store, you can put the 10" and see how you like it. The store should be able to cut it to your custom size then and there.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #7
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I am 6' 2" and sit in a captains chair on my Otter. I have 8" towers. Started with 10" towers, and ended up cutting them down.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #8
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
That's the nice thing about going with non-NRS, They can be cut... I ended up buying just the cast oar mount pieces from AAA and put them in some 1 1/4" tubing, then attached to the frame with Lo-pro's. I made several lengths with cuttoff's from past frame projects and currently like mine about 9" above the tube... I'm pretty sure the OP is planning/talking about NRS towers, but you might consider one of the other brands...

With that said I saw a pair of the new forged towers over the weekend and they are purdy!!
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #9
Bozeman, Montana
I row a 12' Tributary with an NRS frame and I sit on my 65qt NRS Big Sky cooler. I went from 6" to the new forged 10" towers a couple weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I will eventually want a cooler pad of some sort and wouldn't want to go any shorter. I'm 5'8".
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #10
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
With that boat it is 8" if you sit on a cooler or box. 10" on a flip seat. But if your unsure you can lean the 10" out to make them shorter. You could do that with any of the NRS towers for fine tuning. This would probably mean some messing with your oars to bring them back into center but that is an easy fix. I have a boat the same width as yours and I have the 8" but may swap them four the 10", depending on where I put my seat. I haven't figured out my frame set up yet so the towers are still in a bag. The new NRS towers are super sweet but there are some other good options out there. I have DRE on another boat and on a Main trip last fall had a set screw come loose so the lock was rubbing on the tube with every stroke. I realized the problem as soon as it cut a large hole through. For that reason I won't use that style locks on my new boat. I know they would be fine if checked for tightness once and a while but not worth the risk to me.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote