Old 12-08-2015   #51
Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
All rafters aren't created equal, same as everything. For instance, if all I'm going to do is ride a bike around town a huffy will do, whereas if I'm going to race professionally then I'd need a specialized stumpjumper at a minimum.

The typical rafter runs class i-iii. So if said rafter is in that category why spend $10000 for a Raft package, when in reality a sevylor or a tube would work fine. If someone wants to drop serious coin for a sotar etc that's fine, but to basically require all rafters to use highend shit is stupid...its not needed.

Saturn is a specialized hardrock, rocky mountain rafts are a specialized rockhopper, and sotar/aire/maravia is a stumpjumper/epic whatever. Pick the right tool for the job. No need for $10000 Raft on the stillwater river for instance, but one would be required/recommended for the nf Payette. Same goes with remote multi day trips. Right tool for job yo. I think it's funny seeing a bunch of $10k+ rafts doing the beer run from golhill to rogue river. To each there own.

Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015   #52
Antarctica, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1981

Originally Posted by garyherballeaf View Post
A fundamental concept of the buzz is buzz. Let me introduce this concept: Would you want your child conceived is a foreign cheap piece of sh_t inflatable? What does that say about the direction we are heading? There is an old indian tradition about naming the child after the boat they were conceived on. Looks like the next generation will be named, sadly ,"rental".
My child, Ying Ying, WAS conceived in a foreign inflatable. Or maybe his mother was a foreign inflatable. I can't really remember after using too much herbal leaf.

klickitat is offline   Reply With Quote