Old 03-29-2014   #1
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
NRS CoolCat ? Thoughts / experiences ??

I'm one of those poor people that got hooked on this expensive sport. As such I have to try to find good deals on used equipment, and that search has lead me to investigate the NRS CoolCat. I like it, especially the weight, but I have some concerns about the durability of the material. Does anyone out there have any experience with this boat/material? Has anyone found it to be more puncture or wear prone than average? I'm looking at the 13ft play boat or the 15ft so any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

FatGuynaLitlBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #2
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
Originally Posted by FatGuynaLitlBoat View Post
any thoughts would be great. Thanks.
I got a 15 footer last year. Talked with an outfitter that had some revolution rafts in the rental fleet and they held up pretty well. I, unfortunately, ripped a 4ft tear down one side when I wasn't paying attention on the Klamath. Sharp basalt was the culprit. Good news is sotar uses similar fabric and welded a patch on for cheap. I use it mostly for multi day trips and wish the tubes were fatter but overall I'm happy with it.

Search the forums for more info. I remember a few other threads on the same subject.

Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #3
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I have a 13 foot Cool Cat. I've used it on the same trips as my hypalon cat. I have used it for solo over nighters and day trips. No problems so far, it's bounced off a few rocks and dragged bottom like my other boat and so far so good. I store it inflated unlike my other cat and do like how light and nimble it is. I am bothered by the fact that NRS only sold them for one year and I am not looking forward to ever having to patch it if it ever pops. I've had it for two years, and am looking forward to getting it out again. Hope it's helps.
Guiltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #4
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
Good point. Stock up on patch material while NRS still has it in stock. Sotar urrthane is similar and may be an option if needed.
Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote