Old 04-02-2014   #21
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I have snapped the tip off one Carlisle being yanked into an eddy with cross shipped oars.

I have seen "shark bites" happen on three of the Sawyers. Blade still usable but not optimal.

I have hundreds of low water Middle Fork miles with nothing other than wear. Bent shafts yes, but no other blade failures.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #22
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
I broke a Dynalite in Crystal in '06. It was one of PRO's, so no clue as to how many miles it had on it. It was entirely my fault.

I've been thinking of getting a couple of for myself, but damn, they be spendy.

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #23
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Aside from durability, which Dynalites score very highly in, they are light, float, slightly longer, more repairable, and flutter less than anything else I have tried and are, therefore, worth the money.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #24
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
I snapped a Dynalite in half like a potato chip. It didn't seem like it took very much. A friend of mine broke one in the fish ladder on the Rogue as well. Don't get me wrong I liked the way they felt in the water and their lightness. At least for the 1/2 season I had them.
My experience is that the Cataract and Carlilse blades are much more durable and at half the price, well...
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #25
Tenacious B
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Elk- they were Duramax blades. I think I just like to row rocks. I'm starting this season with a fresh set of Carlisle 8's. We'll see. EFSF usually says otherwise. Ha!
Ben Bade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #26
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Another benefit to the Dynalites is my oar tether loop doesn't hang up on them.
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #27
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989

FWIW - I was with Ben Bade on the Illinois trip where 3 dynalites broke. I was seriously considering upgrading to them for myself until that trip. I decided to stick with 8" Carliles for my cat. I've been having good luck with mine for the last few years (averaging about 55 days/year). I haven't chipped or broken one in ages, but I have several with slight bends in them. I usually just bend them back a time or two, then demote them to spare oar duty after a while.

Now that I also have a raft, I might consider getting dynalites because I won't be running the raft on rocky rivers very often. I will be rowing flatter rivers so I think the lightweight dynalites will be worth it for that boat. If and when I do take the raft on something rocky (low water middle fork) I always have the option of leaving the dynalites home and bringing something I'm more willing to break.

Chips > Breaks

jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote