Old 02-13-2013   #1
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
new raft trailer in Portland oregon vicinity

Looking for a new trailer. Noticed the deck over trailers on portland craigslist
from ms-metal works in Molalla. Any one have one of these? any feed back?

Also considering Iron Eagle trailers in the area, any feed back?

Not looking for any other brands from makers far away.

Thanks for any input.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #2
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I've got an iron eagle 12x6.5. Nice trailer, although I've never tried any others

Got it used for $900? It had a lot of rock chips so i used a grinder and scotch brite pads, and repainted it. In hindsight it was a lot of labor but sometimes that's how I roll

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #3
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
One of my paddling buddies had a flatbed trailer for his (Now my) raft from MS before they were doing deck over trailers. The trailer was bomber, rode great, welds were nice, and it was generally overbuilt. It was wide ( 7 foot deck with tires outside of that) so pulling it though Oxbow was a pain in the ass, but that new design looks pretty sweet. I'd go take a look in person. One thing I really like is they use torsion axles, usually 3500 lb rated, so they ride great. (No bounce empty or lite)
My cousin has an Iron Eagle 5X8 trailer, and he loves it. Probably puts 5000 miles per year on it, to Idaho and back and other trips. He built a rack for it for kayaks, and we threw my 14' Sotar on it on the Deschuttes. I don't don't think you could make a bad decision between those two outfits.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #4
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I bought mine at MCI WELDING - HOME, I picked up a 5x8 utility trailer for $800. They built it to order and it was ready to pick up within a week. They have a few listed on Portland's Craigslist if you search for MCI Welding, you'll find them.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #5
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2009
One of my buddies has an Elam trailer trailer, plans, trailers, utility, raft, equipment, landscape, flat deck, hauling, refuge, ATV, motorcycle, custom, built, customized, boat, tractor, sports, skiing, multi-purpose, all terrain, snow mobile, Dennis Elam, tandem, axle, single, quality, made in Oregon City by a local rafter it seems really good quality.
mbrookins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #6
Working to much
Vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
I have one of his trailers. They are priced correctly for what you get. They are not a super heavy duty trailer, but for what I use mine for and the price I paid for it, my trailer is perfect. Nice guy, builds them at his house. If I need another light to medium duty trailer he is who I will call first.

DONT get the built in atv ramps. He doesn't recommend them and I dont ether.
liftedlimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #7
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Go with MS

I have an MS trailer and I love it. It is pretty heavy duty and has held up very well to my abuse. You can certainly buy better trailers but not for the same price. I actually went with the non deck over style. it has removable sides that the raft sits on top of allowing me to securely store all my gear underneath the raft. This set up also makes the trailer more versatile in my opinion. Just my $.02

Rogue Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote