Old 07-09-2016   #1
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
(New) Old boat

Brand new member to the forum here. So I just got what I think is a pretty good deal on an old Maravia. I'm guessing late 1980's or early 1990's. Its a 14' self bailer that came with a nice trailer, 8 paddles, 8 pfd's and misc. straps and stuff. It's a yellow boat that has some sun fading but all the baffles are in tact, there are no leaks or patches, and all the valves work as they should. I paid $400 for the whole setup. My question is, should I be concerned about the sun fading or is it simply cosmetic? This is my first maravia and I've been told that they are sprayed with a urethane coating. Could/should I see about sending the boat to Maravia and have them spray a fresh coating to make it last longer or just be happy with the deal I got and rock it as is? Also, I use 303 on my aire. Should I use it on the Maravia too? Thanks all!

Oregrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016   #2
C. Springs, Colorado
The problem with the old Maravia's is in the glue they were built with. I had one and all the seams started to separate due to glue failure. Rock it while you can.....but I wouldn't spend any money on it.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016   #3
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
(New) Old boat

That is a sweet deal! Don't worry about the sun fading, it is purely cosmetic. I'm not sure Maravia even can recoat the boat. I see plenty of factory reconditioned Maravias with sun bleaching, which makes me think there isn't anything they can do about it, or it isn't worth it.

I don't own a Maravia, so someone else will have to answer the 303 question, but I wouldn't think it can hurt.
junksh0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016   #4
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Pics? The trailer, pfds and paddles are well worth the $400. Sending it in may not really be worth it. They do sell Urethane touch up paint/glue if you have pinholes but failing glue seams won't really be repairable in a cost effective range.

If it holds air (mostly ) for several hours, then run that puppy.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016   #5
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
Saw that on CL. Looked like a great deal. I'd use the boat as is as long as possible and look for a suitable upgrade down the line.
Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016   #6
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
Or, resell it for three times what you paid for it and go on a cruise.... :P
Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #7
Paddling Since: 1994
If it is that old it could potentially be pre-urethane coated and just be a glued pvc boat. The last 2 digits of the tag should tell you the year if it is sill there.

There were some that certainly had glue issues so beware of letting it get to tight. The further off the beaten path you go and the hotter it is the softer I'd run it. Big seam failures suck in the backcountry unless you are savvy at repairing such a thing. Nevermind, they suck even then.

Sounds like a hell of a deal for pfd's, paddles and a trailer. Run that sucker til she dies and get an upgrade.

If you have a pic I could easily tell you if it is urethane coated or the older PVC only boat.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #8
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
So now you are selling just the boat for $850?
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #9
Albany, Oregon
I am. Interested?
Old 07-12-2016   #10
Albany, Oregon
How do you post pics here?