New Maravia Problem - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2016   #1
swimming

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1978
New Maravia Problem

Greetings folks,
I wanted to share my experience in hopes it will save some other rafters the heartache I have experienced.

I just returned from our annual Rogue River trip in Oregon. When we pulled off the river I was shooting the breeze with a gentleman for a while about boating equipment and such. I explained I had a couple things I would like to do to my new to me Maravia.

He directed me a couple hours North to the local river shop that had a frame consultant on hand. My wife and the dog made the trek and had a couple small things welded up that needed done. The gentleman informed me I had the wrong size boxes in my raft and they were applying too much pressure to the tubes and the welding was rough on the joint near the tube. I bought this package about 3 months ago used but the whole thing is only one year old and was like new. He offered to install the correct boxes and put on tabs for 400.00, no way was I buying into this. Afterall I was on the journey home and my madcow boxes are like new.

Two days later we are unloading the boat, we remove the boxes. I will be damned if I didn't find the box he warned me about worn through my tube. Now I am kicking myself for not heeding his warning and just replacing the box, he even offered to smooth out the weld and I declined in a hurry to make for home.

I advise any of you that have ill fitting boxes to check them. Also if a professional frame guy tells you something you might take the advise. I have no idea what this will cost to fix and how it can be done. I am looking at a trip to Boise now for the repair.
Miller
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160710_204447.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	552.5 KB
ID:	11934

MillerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016   #2

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Wow this seems odd to me considering the maravia material. How tight were those boxes?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016   #3
swimming

Kalispell, Montana
The raft is 15 feet long. I don't recall the model and my boxes are 44" long. The shop told me they have been seeing alot of new Maravia rafts coming through with madcow boxes the wrong length. I don't know if the previous owner set it up like this or it was bought as a package like this. Most likely I will call Cascade with the serial number and see if they sold it this way new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016   #4

Great Falls, Montana
what is the space between tubes? a lot of folks run with boxes and coolers rubbing against tubes, including me, but I've never actually heard of problems.
Old 07-10-2016   #5

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Did you drive with your boxes in the boat from g.p. to Montana on the trailer?
Only way I can see this happening.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016   #6
swimming

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
Did you drive with your boxes in your boat from g.p. to Montana on your trailer?
Only way I can see this happening.
Yes, I have taken that trip every year for the last 8 years and always have driven with my boat loaded. I don't see many folks download their raft all the way. I have a larger snow machine trailer with a V guard nose so wind resistance or road damage isn't an issue.
Old 07-10-2016   #7

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerJ View Post
Yes, I have taken that trip every year for the last 8 years and always have driven with my boat loaded. I don't see many folks download their raft all the way. I have a larger snow machine trailer with a V guard nose so wind resistance or road damage isn't an issue.
You could pull the boxes out for the road and I doubt you would have any future problems. Also takes the stress off the corners of your frame preventing the same thing. Kind of annoying but would save you time and money.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #8

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
He names the madcow frame company but not the company he went to for the advise? Seams strange not to mention the other company that gave the advise. Where they in Coos bay by chance?
Sounds like a slightly toned down James/Greenwall quote:
"Also if a professional frame guy tells you something you might take the advise."
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #9
swimming

Kalispell, Montana
My frame is not a Madcow, it is NRS. My boxes are madcow being I stare at the sticker all the time I remember what brand they are. I however don't remember the name of the shop I had the work done at without finding my paperwork. I don't think it much matters. After running my boat for five days I realized the frame was really difficult to use with no foot bar. That is why I had originally gone to that shop given the advise from the fellow at Foster Bar.

I said frame professional because he knew exactly what I needed and built me a new cross bar with foot brace in about 20 minutes and it ran me 50.00 ,it was apparent he was very knowledgeable in his trade and the frames that were there were very impressive.

It still echoes in my mind his statement about my boxes. He said they were too tight and could very possibly cause damage to my raft driving that far. I told him I hadn't had any problems so far. Unknown to me I may have had problems already brewing from the trip out. He said " I have only been setting up boats for 20 years so there is a possibility I could be wrong" and laughed.

Sorry if somehow my post offends you. I don't know what else to call it he was spot on.
I am running it over to replay sports to see if they have any ideas I think they are a repair center.
Miller
Old 07-11-2016   #10

Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
He names the madcow frame company but not the company he went to for the advise? Seams strange not to mention the other company that gave the advise. Where they in Coos bay by chance?
Sounds like a slightly toned down James/Greenwall quote:
"Also if a professional frame guy tells you something you might take the advise."
I was wondering as well.

MillerJ, Offended? What did anyone say that would make you think that you had offended?

There is a prominent problem from a guy named James here on the Buzz. He forms fake user accounts and slams other raft/frame companies. He uses language much like you used as if to insinuate that any other company is not "professional". We were trying to disseminate your intentions. The fact that you jumped to "offense" makes me wonder even more since that is a typical James protocol... And he hates NRS.

If your not James, then thanks for the info. Honestly, A lot of boaters have been floating with boxes and coolers touching tubes. I've seen many posts on it and I've never seen a problem. So it is good do know that this can happen. Thanks.