New Maravia Problem - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2016   #21

Meridian, Idaho
MillerJ, can you show us where on the raft this happened? I am curious because the picture you show has a seam running through the middle of where the wear hole is and my Maravia doesn't have a seam where my dryboxes hit, they hit the thwart knuckles.

idahorafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016   #22

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
I think your box rub problem is because you are transporting it in the boat. In two instances I've seen holes worn in boats in transit because they rode on the trailer next to a metal box. The constant vibration of driving is what did it. Personally I wrap my boats in tarps when transporting them rolled up. If I'm hauling them inflated, I always pull everything out of the boat except soft stuff (like life jackets and dry bags) but leave the frame on it.

Rivers don't vibrate like trucks and trailers, thus you won't see the same wear patterns from box rub.
Me too! Seen this happen. Most of my gear goes in the truck now.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #23
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Maybe Dusty's? He is about two hours north of Grant's Pass along I-5. (DRL, Dusty's River Logistics)
Old 07-12-2016   #24

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Put a heavy metal box on a trampoline and drive it down a bumpy road on a flatbed......you now have a giant oscillating sander.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
What a great idea to smooth out washboard roads.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #25

Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Your thread title is incorrect. It's not a Maravia problem, it's a fitment problem.

A 15 footer (Willie 1.5 / Zephyr) is designed to have a 40" box with the thwart knuckles still in place. My Willie 1.5 has about 1/4" on either side of my box (Cambridge frame and drybox) with the knuckles. My BIL has to shoe horn his 42" box in the back where there is no knuckle interference. His is an older Willie 1.5 and there are no signs of wear other than the typical gray frame/box marks.

44" is definitely pushing the tubes rather hard, not just rubbing. Whoever decided to try a 44" box in a raft that size simply got greedy. Poor choice.
brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #26

NE, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscap View Post
Your thread title is incorrect. It's not a Maravia problem, it's a fitment problem.

A 15 footer (Willie 1.5 / Zephyr) is designed to have a 40" box with the thwart knuckles still in place. My Willie 1.5 has about 1/4" on either side of my box (Cambridge frame and drybox) with the knuckles. My BIL has to shoe horn his 42" box in the back where there is no knuckle interference. His is an older Willie 1.5 and there are no signs of wear other than the typical gray frame/box marks.

44" is definitely pushing the tubes rather hard, not just rubbing. Whoever decided to try a 44" box in a raft that size simply got greedy. Poor choice.

Couldn't have said it better myself
Willie 1.5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #27

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I've drug my boat inflated on the trailer with the boxes and frame in it all over the place for 13 seasons now and only have aluminum oxidation marks to show for it. Then again, I only have 40" boxes in an Aire 143R.

I've seen more problems occur with rolled boats where a fold wears against something during transport. To each his own!