New Maravia Problem - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2016   #11

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I call bullshit- who specs a 44" box in a 42" wide boat? You don't need to be a 20 yr "pro" to figure that one out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016   #12
18' Kodiak

None Ya Creek, The Last Best Place...
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerJ View Post
Also if a professional frame guy tells you something you...
What's a "professional frame guy"? Is that like a professional lawn mower guy?

-
evL_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #13

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
[QUOTE=MillerJSorry if somehow my post offends you. I don't know what else to call it he was spot on.
I am running it over to replay sports to see if they have any ideas I think they are a repair center.
Miller[/QUOTE]

I am in no way offended: was the professional frame guy in Coos Bay?

PS - my madcatr box slightly touches my tubes and has done so since 2008 without any wear spot forming. However, the corner welds are very smooth
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #14

C. Springs, Colorado
I think your box rub problem is because you are transporting it in the boat. In two instances I've seen holes worn in boats in transit because they rode on the trailer next to a metal box. The constant vibration of driving is what did it. Personally I wrap my boats in tarps when transporting them rolled up. If I'm hauling them inflated, I always pull everything out of the boat except soft stuff (like life jackets and dry bags) but leave the frame on it.

Rivers don't vibrate like trucks and trailers, thus you won't see the same wear patterns from box rub.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #15
swimming

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
I think your box rub problem is because you are transporting it in the boat. In two instances I've seen holes worn in boats in transit because they rode on the trailer next to a metal box. The constant vibration of driving is what did it. Personally I wrap my boats in tarps when transporting them rolled up. If I'm hauling them inflated, I always pull everything out of the boat except soft stuff (like life jackets and dry bags) but leave the frame on it.

Rivers don't vibrate like trucks and trailers, thus you won't see the same wear patterns from box rub.
Thanks Caverdan, you are right. I just always had some clearance on my boxes so never thought about it. I see why he was recommending I have clearance.

The point of this post was to help someone else from having this happen so maybe someone will get some benefit out of it. Not here to put up with the other rude comments, Thank you for your comment.
Miller
MillerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #16

Somewhere in, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post

X2 on this. My dry box also touches my tubes but I never drive with the box in the boat. Also when the boat is sitting on a hard flat surface it bulges the tubes outward/inwards which adds to the problem. When sitting on the water, well the water gives way to the tubes unlike the deck of a trailer.
Soup76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #17

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerJ View Post
Thanks Caverdan, you are right. I just always had some clearance on my boxes so never thought about it. I see why he was recommending I have clearance.

The point of this post was to help someone else from having this happen so maybe someone will get some benefit out of it. Not here to put up with the other rude comments, Thank you for your comment.
Miller
Glad to help....I should add that both boats were rolled up when the holes were worn in them. Old plastic tarps are great for a layer of protection.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #18

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Hey caverdan, fwitw, I trailered my boats for over 20 years and never experienced any issues with boxes abrading the tubes of my cat boats. The boxes had smooth welds (dre) and were tight. But not 2" too tight.

Are the welds on the op's boxes smooth? Sorry, read this a day or two ago -- dementia setting in. If not, there you go...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #19

it is kind of a no-brainer. if your boxes, or cooler, or whatever has sharp points, rough spots, or booger welds that stick out, over time they could wear a hole in something. same thing goes for getting rocks or other grit stuck between the box and the boat.

take a file or sanding disc to the rough spots and make them smooth.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #20

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Put a heavy metal box on a trampoline and drive it down a bumpy road on a flatbed......you now have a giant oscillating sander.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote