Old 07-14-2014   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Great insight raftus, these are the kind of details I am looking for. Currently I'm leaning towards a nrs frame as I can get a small discount on their stuff. The WMW frame looks sweet anybody have any experience with them?

Also anybody know of a blueprint for a cat frame. I'm considering build one at my buddy's shop because these things are pricey!

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #12
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
...You might also need to get a bit custom with the foot bar for how narrow your boat is - or just use a couple lopro fittings with short pipe section attached to the drop rails.
If I am understanding this suggestion correctly (basically using a shortened NRS crossbar), there could be a problem with the lopro "knuckles" protruding into the tubes -- not sure it would be a peroblem, does not seem ideal.

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #13
peoria, Arizona
I've posted these photos before concerning small cats.

Mine are 10x19 tubes using 7.5 Cataract oars. The frame is cheapo emt with dimensions of 50 inches long and 54 inches wide. With roughly 6 feet of waterline it's agile as well.........a cat.

It's not a breakdown and not a named player, but it was cheap. I bought a seat slider with a lot of adjustment and it fits short and long leg oarers.

deadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Deadlizard that lil boat is awesome and that frame looks perfect, I'd love to have one made locally.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #15
The Go Light Guy
Joshua Tree, California
Paddling Since: 1980
You probably can have one made locally, or do it yourself. EMT electrical conduit can be hand bent and welded (careful of the galvanizing, though - nasty stuff when welded). The WMW frames are great (I also sell them) and we have used our lighter prototypes all over the west and Mexico, Guatemala, and Peru (flew that one as baggage).
nnikirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #16
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Built my own, for a set of Jack's Cutthroat tubes. It's about five years old, no worries so far. It's been on rocky class IV water and also done multi-day trips with a load (including me, at 235 lb.) When the water is low, or for narrow creeks, I bought a Jack's Fat Cat paddle frame, so I've got two boats with one set of tubes.

- - -

This is copied from an old post:

New Light Cat Frame

We finally got enough water to go. Here's the wee cat rigged and ready to launch. Total weight of the frame (with floor, stands, locks, and seat) ended up at 47.5 lb. One of my favorite runs has a steep carry from the takeout, and my old frame kept gaining weight, year by year.

Tubes are Jack's Cutthroat (12.5' x 16") with 4 dees per side. The oars are Gull 7-1/2 footers.

The oarstands are homebuilt (wrote 'em up earlier on this thread). The scouting floor is a half-panel of PolyMax kennel floor (also written up earlier, along with most other details).

- - -

Here's the paddle frameó

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote