Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 03-25-2013   #1

Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
New coating for raft. Help???

Im planning on putting a new coat or two over my old campways pioneer raft. Its older and could use it. Im looking for hypalon neoprene coating. Im not looking for fabric just the stuff that can be applied by brush or a small roller. My raft is 11'6"x5' Im not sure if i need to do 1 or 2 coats. Does anyone know where the best place to purchase the hypalon neoprene would be? Also how much will it take to do 1 good coat? If i feel another coat is necessary I'll just have to make another order i suppose.

Old 03-25-2013   #2

San Juan Islands, Washington
I'd give Man of Rubber a call, I think they have the best options for coatings
Raft Repair Coatings - Man of Rubber River Gear

Old 03-25-2013   #3

Noneya, Alaska
I can recommend a product called flex-tuff. It's a two part urethane that can be applied by brush roller or spray it on. If your boat is hypalon you will have to sand the area well wear you would like to apply. If its PVC or urethane you can wipe the area with mek a couple of times to make sure it's clean and will allow the fabric to accept the urethane. Wise to soap check before you urethane for any pinhole or leaks will cause bubbles and will not seal(I have tricks to fix this if it happens). It is a 1:1 ratio and can be tinted different colors. Once you have the product mixed and boat prepped..... You can apply a coat. Let it tack for 15 min.....then apply another...repeat till you have reached desired thickness. Let it set for 45 min pull the tape and let cure overnight. If you are going to deflate and roll right away... Put some corn starch on the urathane surface so it doesn't stick. Ask your local raft shop about it. It's great stuff. I apply it to new rafts out of the box and 20 plus year old boats. It protects against abrasion and puncture and makes the raft slide over gravel and such much easier. It will still roll up nice as long as you don't get carried away with thickness. We use it here in ak a lot on the rafts we use for hunting trips. Often when it gets cold on a hunt the water will drop such that you could be dragging a raft upwards of 50-60 miles down river in worst cases. I also coated the floor on my pack raft which I also highly recommend doing. Going rate here is about $250 a gallon but it had to be hazmat shipping to Alaska and you wouldn't believe how much that costs even if I told ya. Sorry for the paragraph but I know a lot about it.
Old 03-25-2013   #4

Noneya, Alaska
And you would be looking at about 2/3 gallon to do two nice coats to the bottom
Old 03-26-2013   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
System 6 is the best stuff I've seen yet (tomrefried's link to man of rubber has it). I got mine done at Rocky Mountain Adventures in Ft Collins. The stuff is bomber and you can add pigments to match your boat. Get the System 6.
Old 03-26-2013   #6

StrangeVille, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1987
I have used level 6 on the bottom of a drop stitch floor 3 years ago. Its good stuff. But it does not go far. like repairman said; you'll need 2 to 3 gals of the stuff to put down a nice thick coat. If you don't do a good job preping the paint job will suck!
Old 03-27-2013   #7

Noneya, Alaska
I meant 2/3 of a gallon it's a smaller raft. That should do two coats making it about 1/8 thick. That's as thick as it needs to be.. You guys might have different river rock than us most of our danger lies in wood in the water punctures and drag damage.
Old 03-27-2013   #8
4Corners Riversports

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4Eva
Inland Marine - Inflatable Boat Repair Products

We'll have Inland products availabe at 4CRS this spring. Great stuff (recommended by Jacks Plastic) and not ridiculously expensive.

www.riversports.com / 1-800-426-7637
360 S. Camino Del Rio, Durango, CO
Old 03-27-2013   #9

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CRS View Post
Inland Marine - Inflatable Boat Repair Products

We'll have Inland products availabe at 4CRS this spring. Great stuff (recommended by Jacks Plastic) and not ridiculously expensive.
So 1 gallon should do it for a 14' raft? I would like to get the floor & tubes on my raft? Maybe I should go with a little more just in case.
Old 03-27-2013   #10

Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Inland marine liquid rubber peeled off my super puma.